Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M1 garand found in germany. How to get it to the states?

Article about: Basically what the title says. Lets say one found a fully functional M1 garand in a barn in germany. It's never been registered in germany since it's been in that barn since WWII. How would

Default M1 garand found in germany. How to get it to the states?

Basically what the title says.
    Lets say one found a fully functional M1 garand in a barn in germany. It's never been registered in germany since it's been in that barn since WWII. How would one send it to michigan?
    Thanks for your answers.

Whoever is in possession of it is in violation of German Law concerning Weapons of War...Kriegswaffen-Kontrollgesetz...I do not believe you'll be able to legally transfer this weapon to the US...Check with the local Polizei for the legal details to be on the safe side...
    The only other method I can think of is to take it apart and send it back piece by piece...
    cheers, Glenn

CBH
    ?

I believe any military firearm marked U.S. can not be imported back into the US . They are considered stolen US military property .

Not possible
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It's pretty disappointing that historic items like this have no legal route to safety, even if it's in the care of a museum. I will say though, the only part considered a firearm is the serial numbered receiver. The rest is just parts. Although, them coming out of Germany may be a huge problem.

Quote by Nathan362 View Post
    It's pretty disappointing that historic items like this have no legal route to safety, even if it's in the care of a museum. I will say though, the only part considered a firearm is the serial numbered receiver. The rest is just parts. Although, them coming out of Germany may be a huge problem.
    German Laws defining a Military Weapon of War are much broader than in the US...They also have different standards of Deactivation than we do in the US...Fact is, a functional military weapon is illegal to possess in Germany, and you wouldn't be able to transfer an illegal item legally to the US...
    cheers, Glenn

I figured it being in Germany would pretty much eliminate the chance of any of it making over seas. It would be nice if you could turn stuff like that over to a museum, rather than destroying it, or hiding it away, at risk of jail time.

Thanks for your fast responses. So without the reciever it could be shipped? I have very little knowledgeof German gun laws.

Quote by Tigersfan View Post
    Thanks for your fast responses. So without the reciever it could be shipped? I have very little knowledgeof German gun laws.
    NO. American Laws don't apply here - ...FIRST- You have to refer to German Laws concerning possession & export of a Weapon of War - Google "Kriegswaffen-kontrollgesetz"...Illegal to possess, illegal to ship from Germany, even Illegal to transport it within Germany without risking a 2-5 year prison-sentence, according to Article 4 of the law...
    cheers, Glenn

CBH
    ?

I'd be Very Careful on both ends .

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast