Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

m4 atocanon

Article about: Hello. i got at hand a m4 37mm atocannon from a downshot "russian" p 39. what might it be worth, if a museum or a collector would want it? ill uppload several pictures later on.

?

Default m4 atocanon

Hello. i got at hand a m4 37mm atocannon from a downshot "russian" p 39.

what might it be worth, if a museum or a collector would want it?

ill uppload several pictures later on.

Default Re: m4 atocanon

not sure what its worth but i would love to see some pics, any history behind it i.e where it came from ect
    regards Mad.ideas

<-------waiting for pictures

Steve T

?

history? well.. the pilot is dead and the gun was salvaged..

This happent in kirkenes. where many russian planes shot down.

Here are the pictures

more info on the web on what happent there.. The small city is the second most bombed city during ww2
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture m4 atocanon   m4 atocanon  

m4 atocanon   m4 atocanon  

Now that is one superb aircraft weapon. Looks like it is in pretty good condition as well !

Steve T

?

good gun i guess. but i dont think the planes built around them where any good since the russians got them..

The P-39 had rather unforgiving handling characteristics, amongst its other problems.

CMc
    ?

To be fair, the Lend Lease program did send some modern equipment, considered up to scratch by Western Allied forces, to the Soviet Union as well, among it Supermarine Spitfire and P47 Thunderbolt fighters, B25 Mitchell Bombers, Sherman and Churchill tanks, the Jeep, GMC DUKW ('Duck') amphibian lorries, and all sorts of other stuff that was still in common use by Western forces for some time, until the end of the war in Europe and after in some cases.

Not only that, but the P39, as with other Western Allied gear like some of the stuff mentioned above, or the Universal Carrier and Vickers Valentine tank, for example, seem to have been quite well recieved according to some sources, and there were certainly Soviet Aces who scored a lot of kills in P39 Airacobras. (Although admittedly there were also plenty of Finnish pilots who had great success in Brewster B2A Buffaloes acquired some time before and considered obscelete, if still in service, by the US, UK and Commonwealth, and others who still flew them.)

Edit: This page shows a brief history of the P39 in VVS Service, including a list of Aces who made most of their kills in P39s.
    http://www.acepilots.com/planes/sovi...airacobra.html
    Last edited by CMc; 08-22-2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Edited as I forgot to add the link I found showing Soviet P39 Aces.

good point on lend lease after all the p51 mustang was originally lend lease and with the additons of a few british modifications you got one of the finest warbirds that ever few without the bubble canopy and merlin both applied by the RAF orginally youve got a mediocre bird with a great airframe