Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MG34 belt magazine relic - Grossdeutschland

Article about: HI all, I recently got this nice MG 34 magazine relic from Latvia. The seller said it was found in German trenches near Dobele. It is quite good for a ground dug item ( despite the missing h

Default MG34 belt magazine relic - Grossdeutschland

HI all,

I recently got this nice MG 34 magazine relic from Latvia. The seller said it was found in German trenches near Dobele. It is quite good for a ground dug item ( despite the missing handle ) and I have given it an acid bath and then a light coat of fixative.

He went on to say that in September 1944 this area was where the Soviet Kremer Armoured Brigade ( never heard of them? ) broke through the German lines and part of the Großdeutschland division, which was resting & refitting in Romania was sent to stop them. Großdeutschland had heavy losses, but the Russians were stopped.

Can any of our history buffs confirm whether this was the case? True story or not, I like it as an addition to my relic collection - there are TOO MANY post war ones out there masquerading as originals ..... at least this one is.

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MG34 belt magazine relic - Grossdeutschland   MG34 belt magazine relic - Grossdeutschland  

MG34 belt magazine relic - Grossdeutschland   MG34 belt magazine relic - Grossdeutschland  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Default Re: MG34 belt magazine relic - Grossdeutschland

Panzer-Grenadier-Division Großdeutschland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia WIkipedia is your friend.

GD were in Latvia in 1944.

Nice relic! Did You used oxalic acid to clean it? As about Grossdeutschland - in really was in Latvia but never buy the story:-). Just actually it is impossible to proof that it once belonged to the Grossdeutschland fighters. And it is also impossible to prove it did not belonged to them.

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Nice relic! Did You used oxalic acid to clean it? As about Grossdeutschland - in really was in Latvia but never buy the story:-). Just actually it is impossible to proof that it once belonged to the Grossdeutschland fighters. And it is also impossible to prove it did not belonged to them.
    Yes, I used Oxalic in hot water for about 90 minutes then scrubbed with a stiff brush. Then washed in bicarb soda ( to neutralize the acid )
    and spayed the satin clear lacquer fixative. I bought the item not the story but ( if ) it came from GD then that would be a nice touch!
    Cheers, Dan
    ( have you found any more relics? )

Hi Dan. It looks like Panzer Grenadier Division Grosseutschland was in Dobele for defensive actions beginning on August 22, 1944.

http://maparchive.ru/division/part15...eutschland.pdf

Cheers

-John

Thanks John, nice to know the story the seller was telling was the truth as he knew it ( the link does not work for me however?? )
    Regards, Dan

I think part of the URL may have been cut off. Here is a tiny URL of the link:

http://tinyurl.com/n3tn7to

-John