Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My First Detector Finds!

Article about: No probs my friend. Any time Steve T

Default My First Detector Finds!

Hi All, Well even if it was down at Mum's field for 5 mins... It turned out well!

No History on the site apart from being 1 mile from RAF Brize norton. Its been a horse's field for 30 years!

My First beep was @ 4" depth and was the Bullet Case, a blank?
    Markings: R /|\ L 1939 L VII

Second beep was @ 4-6" and produced a great find... MP Hat Badge
    All comments welcome as I know nothing of history to these items!

Cheers
    Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My First Detector Finds!   My First Detector Finds!  

My First Detector Finds!  

Default Re: My First Detector Finds!

The cap badge is WW2 and is a superb find!

Cheers, Ade.

Wow, congratulations! My 1st detector find was a horse shoe about 12" deep and my detecting friend keeps reminding me

Very impressive finds.

rgds, Ty

Thanks guys, I am over the moon!

Can someone confirm the Cartridge is a Blank round or Mark VII ball ammunition loaded with nitrocellulose powder? Im sat here & its live either way & it would be nice to know!

Cheers
    Dan

?

Hi Dan

Congrats on the finds, especially the MP cap-badge.

As regards the round, the easiest way to tell if its a blank or live round is the nose.

If it is obviously crimped, like the edge of a pie, then it is usually a blank round, this crimping should be obvious even if the round has been fired, therefore, I would say that yours is a blank round.

Hope this is some help.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Thanks Ian! I have attached the pic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My First Detector Finds!  

The blank round is a MkVII Ball rejected case which has been recycled into a Blank cart. This was pefectly normal as rejected Ball cases were allowed to be used in the manufacture of blanks.

Thanks for the reply, I have been told by BIG NED:

Hi Dan,

The round is a .303 blank L Mk.7 manufactured in 1939 by Royal Laboratories at Woolwich Arsenal, East London. If it has been fired, the crimped end would be open and the detonator cap struck, so yes, it's live. (Possible misfire.)

Cheers, Ned.

So between you both, I have the story! Cheers

Now to work out why the 2 were in this field 20ft apart

Congratulations on your first finds, mine was am old boat nail which i keep in my pocket for good luck. I don't recomend keeping the blank cartridge in your pocket as a good luck charm though

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Congratulations on your first finds, mine was am old boat nail which i keep in my pocket for good luck. I don't recomend keeping the blank cartridge in your pocket as a good luck charm though
    Haha I wont

Dave (Panzer3) just kindly told me how to de-ativate it so no problems there

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast