Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My First Detector Finds!

Article about: No probs my friend. Any time Steve T

Default Re: My First Detector Finds!

I like my relics salty, I assume its best not clean up the badge anyway as its brass, am I right?

Grats !!!

A couple of superb finds !

You don't need to de-act the cartridge dan.....as far as I am aware the possession of blanks is NOT illegal.

Cheers

Steve T

PS Everyone beat me to it but the info on the cartridge is spot on

PPS Love the cap badge. It's a beauty !

Thanks Steve, I was more worried about it going bang in the night hahaha

Fingers crossed for the big detect in the morning

It won't go bang unless you smack it REALLY hard on the blast cap. And in any case,.......and trust me on this.....after being in the ground for 70 years it is full of water and totally harmless.

As for the badge......clean it with a stiff nail brush and then a brillo pad. Won't do it any harm at all.

Cheers

Steve T

Wow they're great finds, that field of yours sure has potential. I'm looking forward to seeing all the other treasures it'll yield.
    Cheers.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi Dan, I think I would just wash the cap badge and that is it. I think it charm lies in the colour it has turned to in the ground. Otherwise it would just become another bulled up brass cap badge.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes Ade, I wont even clean the cartridge up, I love the relic colour/condition!

Thanks for all the advice guys

biker

The use of a nail brush and brillo pad will not do anything other than clean off the top layer of crap. They will both retain their 'relic' quality. Trust me on this......I've cleaned more relics than Ade has had blanks fired at him during re-enactments, and this is the method I always use Hot soapy water in a bucket.....stiff nail brush......brillo pad but without much elbow grease. Rinse and dry.

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    biker

The use of a nail brush and brillo pad will not do anything other than clean off the top layer of crap. They will both retain their 'relic' quality. Trust me on this......I've cleaned more relics than Ade has had blanks fired at him during re-enactments, and this is the method I always use Hot soapy water in a bucket.....stiff nail brush......brillo pad but without much elbow grease. Rinse and dry.

Steve T
    Haha love the explaination mate! That made me chuckle
    Ok, point taken, it does need some muck off so the detail comes through better... but mo polishing from me

Cheers bud.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast