Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My own find

Article about: That is good news! The lorry is a Bedford and is also well worth saving! Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: My own find

That is good news!

The lorry is a Bedford and is also well worth saving!

Cheers, Ade.

sam
    ?

Reporting in

Went on a mamoth road trip type adventure to find the jeep and found it, talked to the owner but unfortunatley he was reluctant to part with it yet.

I left my name and number with him and asked him if would give me a ring if he changes his mind .... who knows maybe i'll be lucky with it one day soon... but not today ^^ .

Made for a fun trip anyway

Cheers,

Sam

Hi Sam, lets hope you are sucessful in the end. Keep us posted.

My only worry is that I have heard these kinds of stories many times over the years. The owners often have an inflated idea of the worth of the vehicle or vow that one day they will restore it.

Cheers, Ade.

sam
    ?

Yep very close to the truth,

The owner was lets say... excentric and insisted that he was restoring it, he wasnt exactly pleased to see us too.

We got the distinct feeling that he did not want to part with it lets say

But was worth a try and interesting to see none the less!

Cheers,

Sam

minty
    ?

I went with Sam to find this Jeep - and what a struggle it was to find too!

We came across it in the end, after a 220 mile drive and a good muddy walk - only to be greeted by what looked like a cast member from the League of Gentlemen and to be told in no uncertain terms at all, that the jeep was definately not for sale and that it was in fact the subject of an 'ongoing, long term restoration'...then basically ushered off their property!! - it's such a shame really as not only is the Jeep being neglected but also that lovely Bedford truck too!

Regards to all...Minty.

sturmhunter
    ?

Thanks for the report Sam,i'm sorry to hear that they were not intrested in the idea of parting with it,maybe some day it will come up for sale.
    If you know abit about the jeeps could you say how far gone was it?I'm not that great at mechanics so i wasn't sure if it was a strange type or a conversion.It looked like the back end had been chopped off and some different wheels had been put on.
    Well done for having a go at getting the jeep,its a pity to think of it just rusting away

sam
    ?

The jeep was saveable but would have needed a ground up nut and bolt rebuild.

?

Quote by sam View Post
    ...The owner... insisted that he was restoring it...
    I was met with a similar response when I went to investigate a report that a Bedford OWB bus was hiding in a barn in Derbyshire.
    (For those unfamiliar with buses, the OWB was the wartime utility-type bodied version of the OB, and is quite rare - I know of only 2 or 3 examples that are preserved).

The farmer was pretty friendly and chatted to me for quite a while.
    He was quite adamant that he was restoring it; however on several subsequent visits it seemed to be deteriorating somewhat.

I later learned that the chap in question had since died, and during the breakup of his estate, that the bus (and several other gems, including ex-Army and RAF vehicles) had been scrapped.

You can imagine how I felt...

Don

?

OK,I'm saving up for a trip across the pond,I could spend hours in this barn alone staring at the lorry and everything around it..Thanks for posting&Happy New year to all!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    As a WW2 Jeep owner myself, I can tell you that is very restorable! Honestly this Jeep needs to be bought and saved. Engines, chassis parts, body panels etc can all be bought with the click of a mouse or a phone call with next day delivery.

It is a Ford GPW by the way.

Cheers, Ade.
    As ..., I can tell you that is very restorable!
    oeps!!?? Coming from you !!??
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast