Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Nevada Desert Finds

Article about: Hello mates, friends and fellow enthusiasts. Long time lurker, first post. We have explored all over the Nevada desert and with particular interest in emigrant trails. Below are several surf

Default Re: Nevada Desert Finds

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Amazing finds! I just moved to Utah, so maybe I should go looking around for abandoned mining cabins...
    Take me without.
    chris

Thanks for showing your finds. One looks like it could be and old Win. 73 or 76 model. Man I would love to search some old caves or dig around in Arizona or Nevada for some historic artifacts. I can see where a good metal detector could be put to good use in those places. Good luck with future finds.

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Thanks for showing your finds. One looks like it could be and old Win. 73 or 76 model. Man I would love to search some old caves or dig around in Arizona or Nevada for some historic artifacts. I can see where a good metal detector could be put to good use in those places. Good luck with future finds.

a metal detector is of limited utility since most areas are heavily littered with metal items, mostly old oil and food cans and discarded items. Entering old mines is dangerous and sometimes deadly. Back in the day they did not have regular trash service, of course, so they just dumped rubbish where ever, or in a concentrated location. US Federal law prohibits digging on public lands and some bottle hunters have faced stiff criminal penalties after getting caught. Surface collecting is another matter. Places many find relics are in places the person putting it there hoped no one would find, like down into the 'honey pot' of an outhouse. Or a lake, etc. Many ghost towns and mining camps are stripped bare of materials hardly anything remains, like Aurora, NV-- all the brick buildings were dismantled after WWII and carted to LA for new buildings, etc.

Keeping this on topic, below are some surface finds from earlier native american occupation in the black rock desert.

Typical lost mining camp

Many thanks for your reply and I am indeed impressed with your finds. Ashame we have so many restrictions. i hope you discover some gold nuggets to make your efforts profitable. hope you have continued good luck with your searches.

that was fantastic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2