Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New WW2 trenches and surface finds. Cartridges ID needed

Article about: Hello fellow WW2 enthusiasts. I found some cartridges today at a new spot, coast trenches in Greece and I though of asking for your help to ID my finds. I have found over the years many spen

?

Default New WW2 trenches and surface finds. Cartridges ID needed

Hello fellow WW2 enthusiasts.

I found some cartridges today at a new spot, coast trenches in Greece and I though of asking for your help to ID my finds.

I have found over the years many spent bullet casings and these 2 types are quite abundant at my favorite hunting location, a german beach bunker. Now I find these at this new spot I previously had found only barbed wire remnants.
    The shorter casing is a 7mm (?) caliber (bottom diametre 11mm, height 5,2 cm), the taller one 9mm caliber (bottom diametre 12mm, height 5,9cm).
    Any info on which side used these? The manufacture dates are pretty clear but what does SMI (or is it GMI) mean?
    And then I found this brass object (nice verdigris patina) that looks like a toothpick. What is this?

Some days ago I found a flare cartridge, not just the casing but an intact one. No markings on it, looks like it's made of aluminum, it's pretty worn by the sea, it has a sea worm attached to it, the top is sealed with a green paint. I found it on the beach near the WW2 bunker mentioned above. The rim of the bottom is either scalloped on it's one half or it used to be scalloped all the way round but was worn down by the sea? It's dimensions are: top diametre 2,5cm, bottom diametre 3cm, height 5,4cm. Is this a german WW2 flare or maybe a post war flotsam find? Any ideas?

And last just a find I wanted to share. Walked past this bush at my hunting spot the other day and I saw in it's middle a round looking silvery dirty object. I checked it out and thought "Wow! A german water canteen!". Then I saw this curious "collar" with a rusted ring and the rest of a buckle still on it. This made me doubt my find... To make a long story short it turned out that it's a greek army canteen from the '50s... Went back and looked for the lost screw-on top, but had no luck with that.
    Would love to have found the "real thing" and not a careless camper's trash but it's still a nice find, don't you agree?

The short casing is a 6.35 carcano made by Società Metallurgica Italiana, Campo Tizzoro, Italy
    Cheers
    Gary

?

So I guess the Germans in my hometown either used italian ammo or had some italian forces fighting along with them....
    Thank you for the details hangarman!

The longer casing looks like 7.92 Mauser. Can you read any details on the base other then the date? The flare cart looks too short to be German but the rim is knurled to assist in identifying the round in the dark.
    Cheers
    Gary