Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Normandy beach found, identification

Article about: Hi, Found this on Gold beach, Normandy last weekend, anybody a clue what it is? cheers Menno

?

Default Normandy beach found, identification

Hi,
    Found this on Gold beach, Normandy last weekend, anybody a clue what it is?

cheers Menno

Attachment 943126
    Attachment 943127
    Attachment 943128

That piece in the middle on the bottom photo - what kind of material is that? I'm thinking this looks like a Mortar-round that has been modified as a static explosive/mine...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Thanks Glenn, I don't know. Doesn't have a strong smell. A bit coal like I think.
    I scraped off a little bit but it doesn't catch fire. There seems to be a thin lining around it.

Cheers, Menno

That would be the explosive/propellant charge which has deteriorated, confirming my assumption that we're looking at a piece of unexploded ordnance....These would be mounted on the various Beach-Obstacles to destroy personnel & landing craft...
    cheers, Glenn

Rommel's asparagus?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

"Rommel-Spargel" were obstacles designed to rip Gliders apart as they landed...Dug-In Poles connected by heavy-duty wire/cable covering various potential landing areas behind the Beach Defenses...
    I suspect they would have been secured w/booby-traps as well...
    cheers, Glenn

As far as I am aware all of the coastal defences such as this were known as Rommels Asparagus which included underwater obstacles with explosives attached to disable landing craft.

From wikipedia,

........Rommel's asparagus refers specifically to wooden poles used against aerial invasion.[3] The term has also been used to describe wooden logs set into the beaches of the English Channel and the Atlantic Ocean to disrupt amphibious landings of troops. These wooden defenses were tested and found to be too weak to stop boats, and were largely abandoned in favor of Hemmbalken ("obstruction beams") and other beach defenses.........
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

When I read the title of the thread I thought to myself I didn't know Normandy Beach was lost.
    I don't know what the hell that thing is.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    As far as I am aware all of the coastal defences such as this were known as Rommels Asparagus which included underwater obstacles with explosives attached to disable landing craft.

From wikipedia,

........Rommel's asparagus refers specifically to wooden poles used against aerial invasion.[3] The term has also been used to describe wooden logs set into the beaches of the English Channel and the Atlantic Ocean to disrupt amphibious landings of troops. These wooden defenses were tested and found to be too weak to stop boats, and were largely abandoned in favor of Hemmbalken ("obstruction beams") and other beach defenses.........
    Thanks, Jerry! I speculate the Allies referred to various obstacles as "Rommel's Asparagus"...But "Rommel-Spargel" is the term the Germans used to describe the Anti-Glider Traps as in the photo...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Normandy beach found, identification  
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 03-11-2016 at 07:45 PM.

?

found / find, what's in a name....

Yes Glenn, the obstacle's on the beaches are also commonly know as Rommel's asperges.
    But the one's I have seen in picture's are "loaded" with teller mines or some kind of saw blades.
    If you think the charge is deteriorated, how dangerous is this thing. Would the trigger have been at the top.
    At the bottom it looks like a steel ring. It look pointed in the pictures, but from the other angle it looks round.

It looks more like a sea-mine detonator to me..

cheers, Menno

ps I have not only found Gold beach, but also Juno, Sword, Utah and Omaha.....
    So if anybody is interested....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast