Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Normandy visit

Article about: A few of the museum at Utah beach; And lastly for now the memorial stone at Villers Bocage, very little evidence remains of the battle in the town, the only thing we could find was a few fil

Default Re: Normandy visit

A few of the museum at Utah beach;

And lastly for now the memorial stone at Villers Bocage, very little evidence remains of the battle in the town, the only thing we could find was a few filled in' spang' marks on a large house set back from the road on the bend at the top of the road where much of the battle took place.

Nice pics mate, we went in April and the museum at Utah beach was still under construction so did not get chance to see it (although visited the old one).

This picture below was taken from a Bunker on Utah beach- "jederzeit feuerbereit" - "Always ready to fire".

Azeville Battery was also a good visit and the one just down the road from it (cant remember the name) both about 10k inland from Utah Beach.

Another pic, this time from Point du Hoc, shows the charred slats on the ceiling of a Bunker from flame thrower damage?!!

We saw this at Grandcamp battery but whastever it said in German? has been overpainted/whitewashed out...
    I think the hangers were for bunk beds? there were plenty two above each other at regular intervals...we saw the burnt wood at Point du hoc and came to the same comclusion re fire damage....there was absolutely loads to see everywhere you turned...hope to return soon best still the good lady is considering moving out there in the not too distant future? we saw property /small holdings around Hambye/Percy around 150'000 Euro ready to move in...we even saw a very structuraly sound with what seemed to be a new roof 1 up 1 down including around 100m2 of land for 22500 Euro with water and electricity!
    Last edited by stefano34; 09-13-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Sounds like your minds are made up

There is so much to see and do, that was our second visit and its surprising how much you find you missed the first time round!, would love to live near so much WW2 history like that.

Great pics, thanks for posting!

great photos.thank you for posting

nice photos

Great pictures,thank you.
    chris

Quote by Steve T View Post
    I am afraid I don't think it is WW2 vintage either. This type of plastic cased cartridge were introduced well after the end of the war.

Steve T
    This 12 guage/78 mm bore case is from a later date, IMO. The marking on the side
    of the shell is the Winchester 'W' logo, I believe. Unusual in that it is entirely
    of plastic. European subsidiary manufacture or imported.............?

Very nice photos. You must have had a great time there !
    Regards,

Steve.

k98
    ?

i was here very nice place nice picture

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast