Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old Iron on STANTA Norfolk

Article about: Just spent a few weeks on Stanford Training area in Norfolk. looks like they are clearing the old Anti Tank range and have dragged some of the old hulks to the road side. hope you like the p

Default Old Iron on STANTA Norfolk

Just spent a few weeks on Stanford Training area in Norfolk. looks like they are clearing the old Anti Tank range and have dragged some of the old hulks to the road side.

hope you like the pics

Old Iron on STANTA NorfolkOld Iron on STANTA NorfolkOld Iron on STANTA NorfolkOld Iron on STANTA NorfolkOld Iron on STANTA NorfolkOld Iron on STANTA NorfolkOld Iron on STANTA NorfolkOld Iron on STANTA NorfolkOld Iron on STANTA NorfolkOld Iron on STANTA Norfolk

Default Re: Old Iron on STANTA Norfolk

Nice pics, I know Stanta very well lol

- - Updated - -

BTW welcome to the forum
    Ben

?

I know SPTA well as well.

Hopefully some of those vehicles will be preserved now that they have been dragged of the area, although with the state of affairs with the army, they will probably be refurbed and put back on the inventory.

I've probably used a couple of those vehicles for hard target practice with a GPMG, 66 or Carl Gustav.

I did my recruits course on STANTA and Thetford PTA in 1981, (Stanford PTA as it was known back then).
    Funnily enough, my brother did his final pre-passing FTXs there as a boy soldier a couple of years later and my son did his there as well about 7 years ago!

Absolutely tipped it down on our 3 day final FTX - we were soaked through. No such thing as Goretex waterproofs then, only the proofed nylon ones which left you just as wet on the inside! LOL

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Ian you wouldn't need gortex for a 3 day exercise!!!..just belt kit lol.. I joke of course...!!!.I know what you all mean STANTA is what I call a nice training area unlike SPTA " the Plain".which is a little cheeky.. Did you all know that Dads Army was filmed on STANTA too..probably did but I thought drop that in...I should really get over to Stanta one day.. I was last here in 2008..it was like a wildlife watch lol..deer,tits," the flying ones",owls,rabbits, A joy to be on exercise.. Cheers Terry...Any comebacks point them in the other direction!! lol...

?

Quote by Tango View Post
    Ian you wouldn't need gortex for a 3 day exercise!!!..just belt kit lol.. I joke of course...!!!.I know what you all mean STANTA is what I call a nice training area unlike SPTA " the Plain".which is a little cheeky..
    Hi Terry.

Wish it had just been belt kit, 58ptn W/E as issued no exceptions and no mod's/alterations allowed, including that bloody awful and useless large pack!

At least there are areas on Stanford that have natural cover, unlike the Plain which is mainly just flat, featureless and has relatively little natural cover, unless you want/need to dig in, but then you have the problems of the natural ground being chalk and flint, great for digging in......NOT!

Oh happy days

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: I knew that Dads Army was filmed in Norfolk but didnt know it was filmed on Stanford PTA, but it makes sense when you think about it.
    Last edited by jimpy; 03-22-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Addition

?

Ian oh happy days indeed..I agree with digging on the Plain is never good!!..& Stanta has lots of woods & buildings to get out of the elements..lol..Yes when I was in training 58 webbing no mods..that pack with a sleeping bag on top "nice".. & the bumroll/poncho holder with NBC kit in it!!!...nightmare...Thankfully the Army has better kit now days...& still do an excellent job... Cheers Terry.

I got to do some good live firing packages on Stanta. I think it is one of the better training areas and you are more likely to get sunshine!!!

Always good to sit up close to Frog hill and watch the paras dropping in.

?

Yeah I agree there Dave it is a nicer area for the sun.. Now Sennybridge is the worst for weather that & Otterburn..both have their own weather I'm sure!!!! Always raining...never good for the maintance of morale....lol. Cheers Terry.

Terry, Sennybridge is just so open to the elements. Its a really harsh environment to work no matter what part of the army you are in. I did my cadre there in winter time. Good memories but not of the weather!!

?

Yeah I SCBC & PSBC in the winters a whole 6 months just on those 2 courses lol.. many other exercises...too many to remember lol.. Cheers Terry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast