Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Panther tank recovered by Army

Article about: Has anyone seen this?? A 78 year old pensioner in Germany had some items squirreled away on his property including an intact Panther. The tank has been seized along with an anti-tank gun and

?

Hi Ade
    You are right, the scrap yard was famous for containing lots of road steam traction engines & rollers also lots of other vehicles, it belonged to J.W Hardwick & Sons, it was in Cocks Lane West Ewell in Surrey. I belive the tank was built by REME from bits left in the factory and I also think there are some records of that in the REME Musuem. Eddie Kenton, one of the earliest liveing history group members of BRA The Battle Re-enactment Association. was involved in it's discovery. I was phoned by a mate who was employed by the famous Quatermasters at the Angel and in the know. We turned up just in time to se it towed out by a Pickfords trailer truck, lifted on by two B----y big cranes, I think it was October 1977? The yard is now covered in houses, all those goodies gone!! Just like Pounds Yard? I wonder if there any like it still out there?
    The thread brought back memories, I was 32 and didn't have the wonga to buy a tank so I could just about afford a jeep, now I have the money, can you fit a Stanna stair lift to a tank!!
    Regards
    Robin Grainger
    Tiffy
    PS I was right the yard is long gone, they have even done the PC thing and changed the street to Cox Lane to gentryfie it a bit.

What a job, the statues!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

Wonder what all this cost the jolly German tax payer!

A sad sight.

Private property and with deactivated weapons. I don't understand what laws have been broken here?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Probably none, but it will be an expensive lesson for him if the reason behind it is evading taxes.

Very Sad so do you guys know him?

so why are they taking it?

-Martin

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    A sad sight.

Private property and with deactivated weapons. I don't understand what laws have been broken here?

Cheers, Ade.

It may or may not have something to do with the two Thorak equestrian statues from the garden of the chancellery that recently were seized in Bad Duerkheim.

Since the Gurlitt case there has been intense public attention to art in the III. Reich, especially to confiscated and or Aryanized art and its grey or black market.

The Kiel man is or is not a collector of such art works in addition to fighting vehicles and weapons of all kinds.

Needless to say, the laws governing objects from the III. Reich in continental Europe differ from the Anglo-Saxon world, (i.e.UK, USA, Oceania) which is not a political judgment on my part,
    but merely a statement of fact and needs no polemics here.

I am all in favor of collecting armored vehicles. I often saw the Littlefield AFV collection which was celebrated, as was its martyred owner.

- - ------- - -

and, the Germans are brutal when it comes to any tax evasion what so ever.

Panther tank recovered by Armyand the political crisis in eastern Europe has thrust tanks back into the public psyche in a very odd way.

I saw him one time with his staff of advisors. So I think he have lawyers. I think they took all to check all the pieces.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

What a shame...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast