Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Panther tank recovered by Army

Article about: Has anyone seen this?? A 78 year old pensioner in Germany had some items squirreled away on his property including an intact Panther. The tank has been seized along with an anti-tank gun and

Many thanks friend.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Well according to the verdict from last year;

In the villa of the 79-year-old in Heikendorf in Schleswig-Holstein in July 2015, among other things, an old battle tank of the type "Panther" from the Second World War was found. In addition, the man possessed, according to prosecutors an 8.8 -inch anti-aircraft gun, a torpedo, a mortar, machine and assault rifles, semi-automatic and fully automatic pistols and more than 1000 rounds of ammunition.

"The weapons were not demilitarized, but all fully functional," said a spokesman for the prosecutor. The man did not have the permission to own these weapons. The complaint was - after lengthy investigations involving referees - delivered on Tuesday.

"Violations of the War Weapons Control Act are punishable by at least one year and a maximum of five years in prison," the spokesman said. Now the regional court Kiel must decide on the opening of a court procedure.

So quite possible the guy is heading for prison and his collection to the furnace, unless someone puts on their common sense head. But this is Germany and there are complex issues for the judge.
    As always, a case like this involves more than meets the eye and I think that from what has been published we can be sure that this individual is likely more of a "wrong 'un" than an innocent collector.

The nature of his wrong doing is of course a matter for the relevant jurisdiction and I for one have every confidence that the judgement handed down will be appropriate (I expect it is already in place).

However, what should concern us here as champions of history is that historically relevant pieces are preserved appropriately. Again, I have confidence in the pragmatism of the German courts (moreso than those of my own country I admit) and expect that the Panther and the 88 will live on in german museums / research establishments. I have a feeling that the Panther will find a new home at somewhere like the Panzer Museum at Muenster-Oertze (formerely Muensterlager for any Brit BAOR vets) which is also a BW training facility and well worth a visit if in the area. The small stuff unless historically significant will almost certainly end up as razor blades!

Moral; don't hide a main battle tank in your cellar if the taxman wants you!!!

Regards

Mark

PS I don't think this was much of a secret hoard and I believe he used to bring the Panther out for a run on occasion! So, it wasn't much of an investigation when the state was after his assets was it?
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-04-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yes Mark I have to agree with you as regards the letter of the law. But it's not as though Herr Flick was a clandestine collector. The existence of the Panther, formerly of Pounds yard was no secret, so I suspect it was the evidence of holocaust related artwork in his collection that ultimately led to his demise, the Panther etc is just heavy metal collateral damage.

Yes, in the past, I saw the Panther and the 8,8 cm before it go in the ground!

Very curious man, he wanted all ! Like Picsou!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

I understand from a German collector friend that the panther was restored in collaboration with the government, and if that is the case then there is much more going on behind the scenes that we have yet to discover. He will probably die of old age before coming to trial at the rate this is progressing, and I am sure that is what the prosecution hopes for.

?

Hi BlackCat1982
    Herr Flick's Panther wasn't found at Pounds Yard, but Hardwicks Yard Cock Lane Ewell Surrey. It was featured in After the Battle having been discovered by Eddie Kenton. I know something of it as a friend had a Burrell traction engine from there which was parked in front of it. We watched Pickford's recover/low loaders take it away.
    Eddie was a founder member of BRA the embryonic start of Living History,
    Tiffy

Thanks for posting the correction Tiffy. I should have known as I have a copy of the Wheels and Tracks issue somewhere.

Cocks lane (Cox lane) is 10 minutes from my house - I cycle past it every day (and Pound lane). In fact I think my friend may have purchased a house that was built on top of where the yard was. Shame I never saw the panther when it was there, but i'm glad it has now been restored - just hope it finds an appropriate home some place.
    Nick

I hope it gets a good home too..

It does look as though it's been well looked after and restored.

Any news from this Panther?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast