Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Peleliu Island

Article about: i have hundreds of jungle photos will post more later.

?

A lot of unexploded ordnance. How stable are they? A nice photo collage of a place I'd love to visit but probably never will.

?

Default Wonderful Pics

Those are wonderful pictures you've posted UXOrmytoys. I am in the early stages of planning a Pacific trip to retrace my father's WWII path. He was U.S. Army in Peleliu as well as in the Okinawa Shuri Castle campaign....he absolutely said Peleliu was the worst and hated it. He had nightmares up until he passed away at age 83.

Regardless, on his 80th birthday he opened up for nearly 15 minutes. I was fascinated and remember he spoke of Japanese soldiers dragging "cans" and them popping flares and shooting them. I did not understand what he meant until I read a book on Peleliu and the Japanese were sending soldiers out at night dragging up to 100 or so canteens to a pond to get water. So, when US troops heard the canteens rattling they used the flares to find them.

Anyway, I'd like to visit that spot/area on Peleliu for sure some day. I'm planning a trip for 2019 that includes Peleliu, American Samoan islands, Tinian and Okinawa.

Again, thanks for the pictures you've posted.

Fantastic pictures! are there any remains of the airfield?

best matty
    Last edited by matty01; 04-18-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Simply Amazing!

?

These pictures certainly increase my want to visit. That's for sure.

One place I would love to visit.However I may not get there.Excelent thread.Thanks

JCB
    ?

Post 46 second picture, No doubt, the fellow in this picture is holding a Japanese Navy Type 3 81mm mortar shell. The tail fins on this model are quite unique for japanese mortar rounds. Good item! Fantastic thread.

Jim

If you are caught taking ww2 relics from Peleliu you can face a fine of $15,000 usd.
    On saying that i would love to metal detect there and help find personal things that belonged to soldiers of all nations fighting there and return them to any soldiers family.
    I dont understand why America and Japan dont send military back there to destroy all those unexploded nades and ordnance. if they are not doing that already of course.

?

I know that they have on Iwo Jima. But I don't know if they took it past their territorial boundary's. I know of several service men that helped along with the Japanese authorities to do this.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Jaeson Rian Parsons
    ?

Would love to go on a "WWII Pacific Theater Tour". My great uncle fought a died on Iwo Jima and was part of my inspiration to join the military as a combat medic and serve in Iraq. Do you know of some good outlets to book travel to these places? Let me know if you can, my email is [email protected].

- - ------- - -

Would love to go on a "WWII Pacific Theater Tour". My great uncle fought a died on Iwo Jima and was part of my inspiration to join the military as a combat medic and serve in Iraq. Do you know of some good outlets to book travel to these places? Let me know if you can, my email is [email protected].

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast