Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Peleliu Island

Article about: i have hundreds of jungle photos will post more later.

?

Hello Jaeson,
    Welcome to the forum. I am a former Marine and research and record vets stories and I just met a Marine Vet of Iwo Jima. What service was your great Uncle in and who was he attached to while on Iwo Jima? May he RIP.

Thank you for your service to our great Nation!

Semper Fi
    Phil

I knew a guy who was a landing craft pilot at Iwo.
    Even into his sixties, he was haunted by some of the things he saw.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Super thread this, having just read the books of Leckie and Sledge it gives a little insight.
    Me, i am pretty sure i would crap myself with every step not knowing what is underneath your foot, but bravo for the pictures.

?

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Super thread this, having just read the books of Leckie and Sledge it gives a little insight.
    Me, i am pretty sure i would crap myself with every step not knowing what is underneath your foot, but bravo for the pictures.
    "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa."
    Is this the one you are speaking about? I read it after watching the "Pacific" series film by Clint Eastwood. What a fantastic read that had me researching the entire life of Eugene Sledge.

RIP Sledgehammer

Semper Fi
    Phil

Yes mate, gripping stuff, be sure to read Helmet for my pillow, Robert Leckie another super read.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    That woodpecker in post #16 with the ammo still in the feed tray is a particularly haunting image. Really shows that the place was literally abandoned.

By the way, did you do any research on the named canteen?
    T-3, and T-92 HMG's feed from the left......not the right.....staged pics.....

Willy Pete in effect
    ?

Default Great pic's

Great photos. I lived on Beliliou for a couple of years in the 1990's.
    My first couple of trips as a tourist no one cared too much when I took photos. Things started to changed as my stays became longer.
    Not long after I started living in Kloulkubed I was advised by a couple of locals to stop taking my camera everywhere I went.
    They were afraid I was a Narc. That is DEA or other law enforcement, and I was there to bust them for growing weed.
    It took a long time but I finally gained everyone's trust. I have a few set of photos but no where near the number I would have liked to had taken.
    It is really great to see some of yours. I am a new bee to this site, so please forgive my stumbling around some.

Amazing how much equipment and resources were poured by Japan unto Islands all across the pacific! Thats the bitch of being on the defensive - you never know what they are going to hit next and what they will just completely bypass. So you have to stock up on all of them - must have drove the Japanese Military mad!

?

you should read my father in laws book "GOD ISN'T HERE" one of the best accounts of Iwo according to many sources. He was a medic in the 5th.

?

Default Back from Peleliu.....

I spent a couple of days in Peleliu back in March with the National WWII Museum Tour Group. It was fantastic. Still a lot of unexploded ordnance in paradise. The people are very nice and accommodating. There are air conditioned buses for tour groups which was great.

We had a "free day" from the tour and a few of us went back to Peleliu with a local guide (the Peleliu Museum Curator/Owner). We ventured to Ngesebus Island which was incredible. It appears no unexploded ordnance has been removed. There's a Sherman tank on the beach that was left with the hatches open when the short battle there was over. We visited the Bunker that EB Sledge mentions in his book "With The Old Breed" that they took out.

Simply incredible. Be in shape to truly enjoy a trip to Peleliu.

Peleliu Island

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8