Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in Greece

Article about: On 15th of April 1941 , nine days after the German invasion in Greece and following several great scale Luftwaffe air raids against airfields in the north region of the country, two Royal He

?

Default Relics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in Greece

On 15th of April 1941 , nine days after the German invasion in Greece and following several great scale Luftwaffe air raids against airfields in the north region of the country, two Royal Hellenic Air Force PZL 24 fighters ( 23rd Squadron ) intercepted over Larissa area a German Hs 126 recon aircraft. Soon the one of the Greek fighters left the interception due to mechanical problems , but the other with pilot the staff sgt P. Koutroubas , after a long time exchanging fire with the rear gunner of the Henschel , finally shot down the German plane which crashed in the seaside of Platamon area , under Olympus mountain.
    The crash side was in shallow water ( 8-9 meters deep only ), but the occupation forces during the war made no efforts to recover the plane pieces . Since the late 1980’s, a friend of mine who is living there, informed the Hellenic Air Force for the relics presence of this ww2 plane there, but with out any response by. So 20 years ago, organized the recovery of the aircraft engine, which was already was detached from the rest fuselage structure debris and remained half buried by the sea bottom sand, the rear gunners MG 15 as and several other items. See ( Photos of the recovered engine and other relics )
    After a good preliminary cleaning and protection the Bramo 323 engine donated to the HAF and today is on exhibition in the museum hangar .
    John
    Relics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in Greece

Default Re: Relics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in Greece

As always very interesting photos from you!...

excellent job of presevation well done.

?

Really nicely done

Regards, Lars

Good stash of Masden matting under the engine.
    Another awsome find ?? what was left of the fusalage ??

Love to hear stories like this from my country!

Think you should write a book John, your threads are hours of entertainment for me, not so much the misses, but I love it !!!!

perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?

Quote by kiwiwreckdiver View Post
    Good stash of Masden matting under the engine.
    Another awsome find ?? what was left of the fusalage ??
    Should be more relics from this plane under the sand bottom there ...
    All what you can do is to come over here, for one more dive in the Aegean, my friend !
    I will be your guide and your "wing man"...

John

?

Dear all, considering your interest for this thread post, I would like to share with you a dramatic detail, about the possible circumstances of this Hs 126 shot dawn :
    A few years after the relics recovering from the sea and during examining the recovered rear gunner’s MG15, I noticed that the rear gun body cover ( breech block spring housing) to be cracked, a large part of it missing and the loading handle stuck in rear “cocked” position. And one more thing : the recovered “saddle” ammo magazine on the gun, was half loaded with cartridges. ( Just have a look on the photos in comparison with the same view of an other restored MG15)
    It looks like that after a long exchanging of fire between the Hs 126 and the Greek fighter, the rear gunner’s machine gun “exploded”(?) due to overheating(?), or some defected ammo chambering in …!
    I would like the experienced about fellow forum readers opinion, for this dramatic option !
    John
    Relics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in GreeceRelics of a HENSCHEL Hs 126 in Greece

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast