Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Relics from the Luftwaffe

Article about: by Danmark Lastly my equal favourites - gas and oil caps!!!! ......luv em" ........ 1) ...... 2) ..... don't complain about the shipping cost and ..... 3) .... ..... Cheers, Dan Hey Dan

Default Re: Relics from the Luftwaffe

Hello again,
    Here are some of the fragments from Kurt Gabler's Junkers 88 nightfighter.
    Plowing into the Teutoburg forest floor doesn't leave big bits - but there's lots of skin with dark black/green paint and various wing and engine parts - all good relics but it was this that prompted me to go for more recognisable stuff.

Anyway, enjoy!
    Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relics from the Luftwaffe   Relics from the Luftwaffe  

Here's another thing - Gabler's plane crashed due to engine failure - have a look at these engine part photos - jeez, the castings are horrendous!!!
    As a metal man I can see heaps of dross and inclusions in the aluminum - they have so many impurities it is a wonder the engines ran at all. The thermal expansion alone would have caused stress fractures all through the motor and no wonder it ( and others ) just fell out of the sky toward the end of the war.

Get slave labour and poor raw material into the mix and Teutonic efficiency goes out the window!!

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relics from the Luftwaffe   Relics from the Luftwaffe  

?

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Nothing lame about them mate....aircraft relics are fantastic!
    All relics are fantastic i think.

Fantastic pieces Dan. I would love more recognisable pieces for aircraft but to me, pieces with skin and original paint are the best. Shows the true colour of the camouflage. Of course if you have more info on the plane and the pilot its even better.

Cheers
    Jason

Here are the photos from the crash site - you need to be a landscape archeologist to read the profile of what it was like in 1945 with all the new growth.

The first 3 is a crater from one of the engines / fuselage main section. The next 2 are a series of long furrows in the ground from????????? and the last is a photo of some of the found pieces.

ALL were found within 30cm of the surface as they didn't have equipment for much digging.

Cheers, Dan

Relics from the Luftwaffe   Relics from the Luftwaffe  

Relics from the Luftwaffe   Relics from the Luftwaffe  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3