Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The remains of 5 German soldiers found (D-Day)

Article about: I wonder if they were all German...the Normandy defenses had a lot of Russian "Hewees" manning some of the big guns. And if one did come across some of these, what would the presen

?

Default Re: The remains of 5 German soldiers found (D-Day)

I wonder if they were all German...the Normandy defenses had a lot of Russian "Hewees"
    manning some of the big guns. And if one did come across some of these, what would the present Russian regime's attitude be, confronted with a request to place these in one of their war cemeteries ?

He stood upon that fateful ground,
    Cast his lethargic eye around,
    And said beneath his breath:
    Whatever happens,
    We have got
    The Maxim Gun
    And they do not.

--Hillaire Belloc,
    "The Modern Traveler"

?

Five more home.

May they now rest in peace.

Don

FeldHerr
    ?

Que estes heróis descansem em Paz!

These guys finally had a decent burial.
    What stikes me a little bit is what happens with fallen soldiers in Russia.
    I've read all over different internetpages that the soldiers found in Russia often get sold on internet or local markets.
    I don't know what's true, so i don't want to point a finger (if u know what i mean)
    I think that all fallen soldiers deserve a decent burial..

cheers,

It's good they claim some effort will be made to notify their family. Any personal effects should be offered to them...

Sad discovery. During D-day the allieds made around German 100POWs of which only some 60 reached the questioning camp.
    Looking at the site, I would think those poor bastards didn't die in combat - but were rather shot in cold blood, and hastily buried like dogs. Quite funny the newspaper didn't even consider this option.
    To be fair, of course those orders existed on both sides.

An odd observation- The article mentions that they were all buried "face down in a shallow grave"...Hasn't it always been a sign of disrespect to the deceased when they bury them face down? Looks to Me, like they were thrown with contempt into a shallow hole like trash.... How sad. Unfortunately too, that they are described as usual as "Nazi soldiers". In reality, very few German soldiers were members of the Nazi party. You wonder what the true story behind the lot is. The true facts of war are never pretty.... William
    Last edited by Wagriff; 08-19-2011 at 03:51 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

its a shame that a lot of newspapers (a lot of which are scum (news of the world)) don't understand the word nazi and say all germans were nazis
    wagriff you are right in saying face down is a disrespect and the chances are they were murdered and not killed in combat im glad they can now rest in peace

tom

Quote by uboats View Post
    I wonder if they were all German...the Normandy defenses had a lot of Russian "Hewees"
    manning some of the big guns. And if one did come across some of these, what would the present Russian regime's attitude be, confronted with a request to place these in one of their war cemeteries ? ...
    Do you really think, "Hiwi´s", ("Hilfswillige"), got Erkennungsmarken, ("dog tags"), and were wearin´ pot´s ?

BTW., the Russians for sure are´nt interested, where their POW´s left ...

Quote by swiss76 View Post
    Sad discovery. During D-day the allieds made around German 100POWs of which only some 60 reached the questioning camp.
    Looking at the site, I would think those poor bastards didn't die in combat - but were rather shot in cold blood, and hastily buried like dogs. Quite funny the newspaper didn't even consider this option.
    To be fair, of course those orders existed on both sides.
    nothin´ to add ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast