Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riddle of missing Spitfire ace shot down after D-Day is solved after his plane wreck is found 66 years on

Article about: Ians sentiments reflect views that we all share, i just hope that any surviving members of "Lacy,s " family will be able to gain some comfort in the fact that he can now rest in a

Default Riddle of missing Spitfire ace shot down after D-Day is solved after his plane wreck is found 66 years on

?

Default Re: Riddle of missing Spitfire ace shot down after D-Day is solved after his plane wreck is found 66 years on

Another one going home at last.

RIP son.

With respect

Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy

Default Re: Riddle of missing Spitfire ace shot down after D-Day is solved after his plane wreck is found 66 years on

Yeah,some French people are good afterall...
    I'm always amazed how a private seek ends with a faster way than an official one...

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Another one going home at last.

RIP son.

With respect

Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy
    Nicely put Ian

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Stephan Wilkinson
    ?

Does anybody know the mark of this Spitfire? (I'm writing about the recovery for the U. S. magazine Aviation History.) Also, does anybody know a source to which I can go, assumedly in France, for further information on this recovery--what the state of the aircraft is, what will be done with the wreckage, etc.?

steve click on the link.its a mk 1X

Stephan Wilkinson
    ?

If you mean the original link to the article from the Daily Mail, I downloaded that awhile ago and see nothing that identifies the mark. There is a photo of a Spitfire accompanying the article, but that is not Lacy Smith's airplane, it's just a generic restored Spitfire that the newspaper used as an illustration.

Fantastic ,what a great job by the french couple , cheers Raymond

Freebyrd
    ?

Quote by Stephan Wilkinson View Post
    Does anybody know the mark of this Spitfire? (I'm writing about the recovery for the U. S. magazine Aviation History.) Also, does anybody know a source to which I can go, assumedly in France, for further information on this recovery--what the state of the aircraft is, what will be done with the wreckage, etc.?
    The photo of the recovery shows a 4 blade prop, this makes it almost certain that it's a Mk.IXc at this stage of the war. There's an outside chance it could be a Mk.VII but it's very unlikely.
    I'd also like to agree with the sentiments expressed by jimpy. R.I.P.

Stephan Wilkinson
    ?

Thanks, Freebyrd. The serial number, which I got from the recoverers in France, actually shows it to be an IXb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast