Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SB Bomber fragment

Article about: Hello all! I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I collected this fragment from what I believe is a SB Soviet aircraft. It was in the Khalkhiingol area of Eastern Mongolia, where

Default SB Bomber fragment

SB Bomber fragmentSB Bomber fragment

Hello all! I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I collected this fragment from what I believe is a SB Soviet aircraft.

It was in the Khalkhiingol area of Eastern Mongolia, where as you know
    there was heavy fighting between Soviet and Japanese forces in 1939.

It was part of a pile of scrap in someone's back yard. the pile was all from the same aircraft.
    I paid the equivalent of 50 cents, the local with me thought I was being ripped off...

I was assisted in identification by a kind gentleman from an Italian aviation forum.

He wrote:"I suppose that they are wrecks from an SB, an all-metal type that was widely utilized in that war, usually with light grey livery over ALG-1 zinc chromate primer, often maculated of green on the upper side on the field, and had exactly that type of national marks."

Any comments welcome.

?

Welcome to the forum.
    Not much help in regards to ID of relic, but looks interesting.

welcome,thats a very nice relic to have keep it safe.

Here is a link related to the SB:

SB evolution and painting

Thanks for the welcome guys, this is a great forum, I have often visited in the past to resolve various mysteries...shall try my best to make some useful contributions in return!

This was back in 2001. I picked up this seeming acraft control panel label at the same place.

Thanks for looking,

Jay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SB Bomber fragment  

Not sure if the first pic appears..the ad gets in the way on my screen..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SB Bomber fragment  

?

They all come out fine. Good quality pics BTW (light, resolution etc). A joy to view.

Encouraging words, thanks. I noted good advice given to others on the forum for taking passable pictures of items...