Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Shipping relic stg44 to the UK

Article about: Selling a Normandie recovered STG44 relic I have and it might be going to the UK --- now, I know the laws over there are exceedingly strict... as, say, opposed to here in Norway, but even th

Thank you, Glenn! It was recovered in a marsh in the Carentan area... the corrosion on the worst side is very indicative of this... a very "smooth" kind of deterioration, rounded instead of jagged edges. Possibly Götz Von Berlichingen (17th SS Panzergrenadier Division ) or Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6 ---

Kinda sad to see it go but I wanted a better more complete example which I received recently, so that makes up for it... can't afford to keep them both.

Speaking of SS Divisions in Normandy, I once met a Frundsberg veteran...and our next door neighbor was captured in Normandy and spent the rest of the war in a Texas camp! He was 19, had a finger shot off...
    Glenn

The buyer of the relic will either receive it with no issues or he will receive a nice letter from the UK Border Force saying its been impounded under such and such law, I cant remember exactly as I am still in work and do not have the letter in front of me.
    He would then have to go to court and give his reasons why he needs the item, if they were satisfied with the explanation the relic would then be returned to the buyer, but the buyer would have to pay all costs

It happened to me 2 years ago, I never bothered going to court so they still have the item.

It's crazy all the history at our fingertips, unfortunately time is running out for that type of encounter... makes me kind of sad but, then again, it's only a natural part of life. I just hope as many stories from these aging vets are recorded for posterity as possible... people may say this and that about our endless fascination with this war but there's no question that WW2 was unique in both scope and scale ---

All this ww2 talk makes me want to pick up a book, I think I may have one or two unread ww2 ones on my bookshelf still

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Historyman --- the buyer is well aware of the possibility of problems and he's willing to take the risk... by the sound of it it seems the big issues are exceptions, not the norm. Luckily.

mpw
    ?

In June I purchased a deactivated relic K98 from a chap in France. Had no problems at all and the guy packed a deactivated egg grenade as a surprise freebie too.

Mark.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Historyman --- the buyer is well aware of the possibility of problems and he's willing to take the risk... by the sound of it it seems the big issues are exceptions, not the norm. Luckily.
    If the buyer is aware of the risks and is happy with them, then as a seller I wouldn't worry about it

Quote by mpw View Post
    In June I purchased a deactivated relic K98 from a chap in France. Had no problems at all and the guy packed a deactivated egg grenade as a surprise freebie too.

Mark.
    My opinion is that it depends where it is being shipped from. From countries with more relaxed gun laws, I feel the UK Border Force are a little more stringent.

My item was shipped from the UK Channel Islands, where the gun laws are very much different from mainland UK

I have in my collection one STG ammo pouch coming from Mantes La Jolie.
    One of the roads of German retreat.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

I had a Luftschutz Gladiator sent from Germany 2 years ago and when it arrived it had been opened and re-sealed with yellow "Dept.of Homeland Security" tape, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast