Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Strange projectile washed up on beach, what is it?

Article about: definatly a recent thing washed up, I nearly stood on the thing and got quite a fright, too scared to touch it or pick it up unless someone on here can confirm its not a projectile atall and

Angry Strange projectile washed up on beach, what is it?

definatly a recent thing washed up, I nearly stood on the thing and got quite a fright, too scared to touch it or pick it up unless someone on here can confirm its not a projectile atall and its ok to touch? strange seethrough kinda thing filled with liquid ill assume water, the back has "20" on it but the whole thing is about 1 foot long, anyone recognise it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange projectile washed up on beach, what is it?   Strange projectile washed up on beach, what is it?  

Strange projectile washed up on beach, what is it?   Strange projectile washed up on beach, what is it?  

Strange projectile washed up on beach, what is it?   Strange projectile washed up on beach, what is it?  

It is a used signal flare, probably plane dropped. There was a big NATO exercise off the coast of Scotland over the summer. I found one of these some years back, also in Scotland, called the local police who ID'd it and took it away.

Quote by Alexander View Post
    It is a used signal flare, probably plane dropped. There was a big NATO exercise off the coast of Scotland over the summer. I found one of these some years back, also in Scotland, called the local police who ID'd it and took it away.
    aha thanks, the one you found is exactly the same? the one in my pics its ok to keep? no nasty chemicals or materials in them?

I found my flare back in the 1980s, but it was about 24 inches long as I recall. I would think most of the residue inside will be burnt up and washed out with the sea water but I probably wouldn't take it home personally until I knew exactly what I was dealing with.

I found one on the Oregon coast. I called the local National Guard and they came and picked it up. They said it contained traces of white phosphorus, not something to play around with.

It's known as a Marker, Marine. Used by aircraft to indicate a target i.e. Submeged submarine, or has been used to mark crash sites or survivors in the water. It is usually launched from the aircraft in such a way that it will compensate for the forward motion of the aircraft so it lands exactly where it has been aimed, so it is launched/fired rather than free dropped.

i wouldn't keep it!! Maybe i would hide it somewhere for quite a long time untill i was 100% sure on what is it...