Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sunken WW2 Treasure ship found

Article about: The name of the ship is the Port Nicholson. Yes I am sure many will be trying to get a piece of the pie but salvage operator is doing his job to keep as much of the prize as possible. Am kee

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: Sunken WW2 Treasure ship found

Interesting Ade , i wonder why this haul hasn`t been brought to the surface before now ?
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

That ship is not far from me Ade and Alan. Just read about it last week in the paper. As I understand it is approximately 600 feet down according to article. Firm needed more funding from investors to continue salvage using deep sea mini subs and cameras. Plan to attempt salvage operations this year. From what I read there is a s***load of platinum ingots aboard which were suppose to be payment for lend-lease armaments during the war. Ship was sunk in 1942 by U-boats operating off East Coast of U.S. dShip is sunk off Cape Cod area in Ma. Will keep members informed of details. Sure wish I could get in on this deal. Ingots are worth millions. Best wishes

Here is my question should the U.S. Gov. receive the money since it was their payment in the first place? Of course the Gov. should pay the firm it shares. Just think about it, from a person point of view. It like losing your paycheck from work (60 sum years ago), would you like that lost pay check back? Would you pay a finder fee for that lost paycheck?

pretty sure that that sort of cargo would've been insured by Lloyds of london (Lloyd's). most wartime cargo were insured in some fashion.

If they find anything, if they manage to recover anything worth covering the value of the operation then the courts will strip the rest away in litigation.

?

Does that mean that once the ingots are recovered , we as a country get them back, because that cargo that was lost would have been replaced in order to cover the debt for land lease, either by a tranfers of funds re the insurance or other cargo that was equal to that lost

I would expect the ingots belong to Lloyds now seeing as they paid for them after the loss.

?

This sounds like a little more deep sea war grave robbery as per the Russian Gold Bars which were recovered from on board HMS Belfast sister ship the HMS Edinburgh, its amazing how large sums of precious metals suddenly means that international maritime laws of salvage and trespass on war graves become so much easier.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Just caught fresh info on news last night. Salvage owner may wait until March to begin operations. Waiting for better weather and salvage rights to be decided by courts. Director of salvage company states he found second manifest listing platinum ingots as part of cargo. Original manifest stated only machinery parts listed Underwater cameras found boxes thought to contain ingots but could not open any of the boxes. Could be worth 3 billion. I will stay on top of story and keep interested members informed.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast