Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tanks as pillboxes in Bulgaria, recovered

Article about: I'm amazed they're not covered in graffiti!

Default Re: Tanks as pillboxes in Bulgaria, recovered

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Thanks for the pics, I'm suprised that no body had bothered to get a hold of them prior to it actually happening. I wonder how many more are still out there waiting to be found

Thanks

Danny
    Hi Danny, actually someone did and got caught. A Bulgarian Officer was caught along with a German collector.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Danny, actually someone did and got caught. A Bulgarian Officer was caught along with a German collector.

Cheers, Ade.
    maybe i should stop looking at the pictures and start reading what people have written

Thanks

Danny

jh92
    ?

Wow awesome tanks! Hmn maybe they will give me the worst one...

jh92
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Cheers, Ade.
    Talk about strict.

Does anyone have more info on what happened since last post? Are the tanks still stored?

?

Yes. Nothing has moved so far. The only news are, it is possible that a new military museum will be established on that spot, the former military base where the tanks were. And some of the tanks will be exhibits there, after restoration. A few more will be for the National Military Museum and what it left in the end may be offered for sale. But so far nothing is decided really.

I've read about these tanks a couple of years ago, sadly many were stripped bare of instruments and other components by treasure hunters who wanted to collect parts. A very Amazing story, wish i was there to recover them

this puppy i've already seen on spot in bulgarian national military museum. along with the majority of the takns on pics in the first post.
    at least in the museum all were complete ones...
    if you are interrested, i can provide some photos of the exibition. it's all outside, under all the weather, and they all definitely can look in better shape than they appear now, but hey, it's a start! at least they're not burried in unknown forrest off the map to rot...
    here we do things veeeery slowly. and not surely...

?

Sorry Vasko, but the ones in the museum are empty shells, too! Same condition. Just the small tanks, the Hotchkiss and the Czech one are complete with engines, but after many decades in the open plus some vandals, I doubt if these can be ever fixed to running condition.

i mean at least they appear whole on the outside... tracks and all...
    powerpack has almost none, except theese you said. and it is sad. running condition-forget about it! absurd! i don't want to get too political, but we still have whole bunch of hungry haeinas at the top of the totem pole, and they chew at people's bare bones but don't give up yet. so my hope lies with the thickness of the armour plate-it will withstand some years more to the decay. maybe somebody someday will pay some attention and put aside some cash to restore this historic heritige. who knows.

p.s. there is a link with some pics of the museum grounds:
    Bulgaria National Military Museum, Sofia, April 4, 2007 - a set on Flickr
    Last edited by vaskoto1; 11-23-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast