Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

U-534

Article about: Here is some pictures of the recovered U-boat 534

ace
    ?

Default Re: U-534

wat a find can anyone tell us wat the shield is for please did every u boat have a different shield never seen that before

AtlantaWalter
    ?

Wonder how the clothing/medals/daggers survived without much damage when the interior shows so much damage?

Tom2
    ?

This one is news to me. Was it sunk or scuttled? I suspect the latter as the boat is not broken up or anything. Am I right? When I was a youngster I went on a tour of the captured U boat at Chicago. Very nicely preserved. The tour guide allowed me to operate the engine telegraph I think it is called? The bit that sends speed commands back to the engine room. It was functional. That was memorable. Have also been on an old US sub in Alabama. Next to the battleship there. I did tour both.

Call to arms
    ?

Ade

Thank you for all the info a fantastic story. I will certainly make the trip to see it when it is open to the public.

Steve

Hi Tom, the boat was actually sunk. I think the story about it is covered on the 'net.

Hi Steve, we will have to make the trip up to see it together.

Cheers, Ade.

HistDean
    ?

Once again, a fantastic piece of history! Thanks Dimas and all who contributed to this thread.

?

Came across this sub while looking around the Internet. Truly a ghostly-looking ship, cool. Seems it was cut into sections for easy viewing afterall. There are other U-boats still in existance (Chicago being one place). It is unfortunate that the U.S. military, for one, has had a long history of destroying what might otherwise be valued relics by future generations. The air force typically would go to crash site and blow up unretrievable aircraft even if they were in remote locations. It might not be optimal that this was cut up, but on the plus side, it was not scrapped.

Opening in a few days!!!!

Quote by bikerboyzx6r View Post
    Opening in a few days!!!!
    Do you have an actuall date for this? As the proposed date was Summer of 2009?

Cheers, Ade.

Its been in local ECHO newpaper that its opening before xmas!!! But unsure if this is the site or the SUB. Finding out for you as we speak

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast