Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Uk airfields buried treasures and other myths ....

Article about: i have spent many years on WW2 uk airfields and spend a lot of time talking to locals about local knowledge / stories etc, without doubt the most common Myth i come across is the ''they dug

Quote by ian_ View Post
    WW2Nut, did you find anything interesting? Amazing how little remains for the volume that went through LLandow.
    Well it's a good start....

Is that the legendary MB5 i'm seeing perchance....????
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

It looks like it but actually a Mustang V with a long canopy and missing panels. FR409, struck off charge in 1947.

?

I've had to listen to the buried harley story a couple of times. I did hear of buried American stuff from a guy in Wiltshire, at the same time he pointed out the crash site of a tiger Moth. He was spot on with the aircraft which did make me wonder. One of those things to 'go back to'. Bird Dog's efforts show that there are still surprises.
    I was shown a site where RAF intelligence dumped their aircraft label collection after the war. German, Italian and Jap makers labels scattered amongst building rubble. The guy who found it had feed sacks full, some with the identity of the aircraft still pencilled on the back. Needless to say the site has now been heavily landscaped, not that there was much left.

I remember reading about a lake in Australia that had been a dumping ground for the military. They found plane parts, guns, and old cars after it had been drained. I'm trying to find it on the net, but will post a link when I can remember where it was.

?

The only things I would ever dig for are precious metals, precious and semiprecious stones and ancient artifacts.

i remember one on this forum about a cave on the Aleutian islands full of jeeps and rifles lol I think each of us all has a small hope that it will turn out to be true

One days these wil be dug up. Shame to see the Aussie govenment destroy them...
    No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80OadL7f8Lo

I think there is always a chance of some of these stories being true just look at the tunnels on Jersey were the British dumped alot a German kit after the war

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast