Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Unidentified WW2 Aircraft (crash)

Article about: Hi, I understand that the 110 was used extensively as an effective night fighter and on occasions would tag onto the end of a returning bomber stream picking them off as they came into land

Default Re: Unidentified WW2 Aircraft (crash)

Hi,

I understand that the 110 was used extensively as an effective night fighter and on occasions would tag onto the end of a returning bomber stream picking them off as they came into land in the UK. I'm sure I read that one night fighter ace in a 110 shot down three consecutive bombers within minutes as they did just that.

Might explain why one was over the UK during 1943, and why German records may not record the loss accurately.

Andy

Hi all,

New to the forum, and not a collector as such, but this one really got my attention for 2 reasons:
    1....I lived in Eccleston for 12 years, and never heard about any German a/c brought down nearby, but then again I didn't exactly ask everyone!

2....My Dad recalls a 110 being shot at whilst on a raid over Leyland - there was an AA post on top of the (subsequently) Butec factory near the bus station on Golden Hill Lane...apparently the gunner was carpeted as he hadn't been given permission to fire!
    He recalls that the aircraft came down in Cheshire and eventually went on display on Preston Flag Market.
    Hopefully this may be a useful lead?
    He also remembers watching Ward Street in Lostock Hall being dive-bombed on one occasion.

As an aside, Eccleston has an antique emporium which a few years ago had a CASA He111 fuselage relic from the '60s BoB film (remember the 'tomato ketchup squirted on the gunner's goggles' sequence?). Underneath all the Spanish data placards were the original German ones!

Cheers,
    Last edited by augerinski; 09-30-2010 at 08:52 PM.

I was born in Blackburn , lancashire & my gran told me of a german bomber bombing the munitions factory in blackburn in 1943 , she remembered it very clearly as she was pregnant with my dad at the time , she also told me it was shot down .

Umm, just a dumb reply, but I think you are all wrong and it is a Do 215, which also had the DB601 and a air intake similar to the one seen on the second photo. Could it have operated as a night intruder/night fighter? Danny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3