Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

unknown crashed aircraft

Article about: More info regarding the op: After attacks of Squadrons No. 12, 105, 139, 150 and 218 came an attack by Blenheim squadrons of Uk based 2 Group. 21 Squadron, 107 Squadron and 110 Squadron task

Default unknown crashed aircraft

Was in the forest in the ardennes on saturday not far from sedan when came across a large aircraft debris field with loads of small to medium aircraft parts looked like a big break up in mid air or a high speed crash dont know if its a WW2 plane ? collected a few bits which I bought back (see photos) Any idea what plane it might be ??

unknown crashed aircraftunknown crashed aircraftunknown crashed aircraftunknown crashed aircraftunknown crashed aircraftunknown crashed aircraftunknown crashed aircraft

?

Default Re: unknown crashed aircraft

Certainly aircraft and RAF - square plate with the camouflage paint is a cooling flap from a radial engine - looks identical to Wellington ones I have, but there is no geodetic structure here - The top photo shows a panel that has been marked to make sure it goes back in the right place - and has what appears to be the aircraft's serial number - I can see the "L", but can you read the rest of the numbers? It looks like L8715, which was a Blenheim, which might fit, but I don't have to hand any history of that aircraft.

Are there any stamped numbers on the pieces? These will help ID the parts greatly.

Thanks for the info

Have had a close look and there are some numbers on a couple of the items

On the panel with port on it my best guess is : L85 42 the 5 is a guess as damaged

on the fuel valve there is a tag with 33314A or 333/4A

And on the black round thing with the wire sticking out best guess is ref no 10.. unreadable then.. 853

hope this helps !!

cheers

matt

Well the 333/4A seems to be an Air Ministry code, but according to my list, 4A is the code for workshop equipment! I am sure one of the aircraft experts will be able to help more, ordnance and weapons is more my area of expertise ........ I dabble in aircraft bits

......also, the black thing will have a letter after the '10' which will ID the category of the part. There also appears to be an 'A' and an 'M' on the piece, further confirming it is an RAF piece, as this stands for Air Ministry.

Just briefly, are there any stamped letters/numbers on the bigger parts? You have to examine every square inch of the larger parts as the stamped code can be quite feint or hidden under dirt. I had a piece in my collection that sat in a display case for 2 years before I spotted it had a code stamped on it !

?

Hi - L8542 was a Blenheim as well, but again I don't have any details of its fate to hand - many panels like this on RAF aircraft were marked with the serial of the aircraft as they were all hand-built aircraft and panels were often not easily interchangeable - it's not conclusive proof of id though as sometimes panels were re-used and filed to fit. I am pretty sure re the Cooling gill panel - I mentioned it was the same as Wellington ones in my collection - both Wellingtons and Blenheims had Bristol radial engines, so I would not be surprised if the cooling gills were not the same - However, Wellington geodetic structure is very distinctive and if you were picking up distinctive bits I would expect to see some in this group and there is nothing - have you any more bits?

?

You're right on the cooling gill Nick, have seen the same on Blenheims. No L85. serial Blenheims seem to have been lost in that area but a lot of L87.. serial Blenheim IVs were lost in the May 1940 offensive against the Maastricht bridges and the general advance. I'd suggest it's one of those. A very interesting find Ringbuffer, you couldn't really have brought back better pieces. L8742 21 squadron: missing, Sedan 14/5/40, L8747 and L8748 107 Sqn, both force landed in Belgium returning from Maastricht. L8749 110 Sqn, Missing, Sedan, 14/6/40. Not a good time to be a Blenheim or Battle crew member.

?

Looking closely at the pic I'm pretty sure it is L874 something. From your location of 'Sedan' the first is the most likely, L8742. More details are: Shot down in target area. Crew of three KIA and commemorated on the Runnymede memorial. The three of them are still missing.
    Last edited by ian_; 10-06-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Here's the confirmation from the squadron ORB. You may have stumbled on a
    previously unmarked war grave Buffer.

Type: Bristol Type 142M/L, Blenheim Mk.1/1V
    Serial number: L8742,YH-?
    Operation: Sedan, F
    Lost: 14/05/1940
    Pilot Officer Robert G.M. Gilmore, RAF 40382, age unknown, 14/05/1940, missing
    Sergeant Thomas R.A.D. Pearce, RAF 564385, 21 Sqdn., age unknown, 14/05/1940
    Aircraftman 1st Class Alfred G. Wilson, RAF 538054, 21 Sqdn., age 21, 14/05/1940, missing
    Airborne 1750 from Bodney, briefed to attack enemy troops in woods E of Givonne (Ardennes) and N of Sedan. Shot down by enemy fighters. Crash site not established. All are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

This is potentially very important information, and you should think of reporting it to the correct authorities immediately.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast