Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff

Article about: Had a VERY good day exploring on the outskirts of an abandoned WW2 airfield and found so much stuff, assuming the uploaded photos are all scrambled again I found first a rusty box (pics 8 an

Default unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff

Had a VERY good day exploring on the outskirts of an abandoned WW2 airfield and found so much stuff, assuming the uploaded photos are all scrambled again I found first a rusty box (pics 8 and 18) thing that looks like some form of trap, theres some bits that arent rusty and its gold, really curious what it is. Also near that was a billboard "department of health and social security" and has all these opening times or something, is it ww2 related?

Then afterwards the small pack of trees I always drive past I decided to take a much closer look and to my surprise a ww2 bunker which I found no way to get inside but when I had a look through the window gap there was a passage leading underground which was probably the way in.

But all around this bunker was green relics from some form of vehicle, anyone a clue? puzzled by the weird window relic as if its from a car? ive never seen window shaped so small and random. Also the wheel and tyre I found which the rubber bit was white but dunno if old age did that or if it was its original colour. Also photographed various rusty relic pieces belonging to the same unusual vehicle,

So any help with what vehicle it was?

thanks!..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff   unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff  

unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff   unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff  

unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff   unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff  

unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff  

Default Re: unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff

The "trap" is actually an Hexamine cooker. A post war British Army issue folding stove.

The sign will also be post war in date.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff

the car parts look like morris minor to me

There are spent 5.56mm blanks in the photographs too, the area must have been used as a training area up until fairly recently, or maybe even still used. Looks like a really interesting bunker though

Thanks

Danny

thx ade for the aid

@ford369: are you sure its a car? the wheel doesnt match and looking at morris photos I dont see how that 4 block window frame? can be from that, or any vintage car, its puzzled me to hell.

@danny: a few are 5.56 but most of them are blank 7.62s which is the first time ive come across this calibre,

machine gun links were present too

What four block window frame's that then mate?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

If theres no visible sign of an entrance to the bunker it could have been used as a civil defence lookout, there were some on airfields and army training areas, basically these were to be used in the event of a nuclear war, they offrered no real protection except from the main blast but it would have been the duty of the civil defense worker to measure the amount of radiation in the area, not really a prefered job as it was classed as a death sentence if the radiation was too heavy, the entrance will be in the local vicinity, either in the ground or a raised piece of land

Any dates on the bottom of the fired cases? Might give an indication of last usage)

?

The Bunker you have found is the Battle HQ for RAF Miltown and both the entrance and the emergency exit have been sealed with concrete.Pic 3 shows the entrance and if you look in the background you can see the exit beside the main part of the bunker

awesome thanks for your input, now all I need now is for someone to ID that 4 window panel thing and other parts from the same thing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast