Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff

Article about: Had a VERY good day exploring on the outskirts of an abandoned WW2 airfield and found so much stuff, assuming the uploaded photos are all scrambled again I found first a rusty box (pics 8 an

?

Default Re: unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff

Though I agree the rounded half buried metal panel looks a bit Morris 1000 front wing - ish, not sure about the other bits - its many years since I had a Moggie - so correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to reacall the front vertical link being attached to a big torsion bar type spring at the bottom? rather than a conventional wishbone and coil spring like this - also the "window" panel looks a little like a sill closing panel, but again not quite the same as a Moggie?

Default Re: unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff

This here looks a bit like the main piece of the bunker, but its at Montrose Airfied (Scotland) is it the same type?

Thanks

Danny

?

Thats the same type of bunker and your second picture shows the emergency exitThere are three rooms underground and another room under the concrete slab

the window thing looks like the rear seat support panel,or at least one side of it

Quote by suu23 View Post
    Thats the same type of bunker and your second picture shows the emergency exitThere are three rooms underground and another room under the concrete slab
    Thanks for your input, looks like I'll go back with some torches this time

Danny

?

Wellies might not go amiss as these have a tendancy to be flooded

ian
    ?

well spoted
    you are spot on
    early 60s morris 1000
    cheers ian
    to quote Tom Buckley (glan conwy) its a mory (A) thaew
    thats what happens when us english try to be welch LOL
    by the way WELCH is a north walian thing
    to do with the royal welch fuzzies
    those north of ,,, will understand ??? mabe ???
    Last edited by ian; 04-23-2011 at 03:56 PM.

I think we're going the right way.... To me the 'window' thingy was always the front headlights/radiator panel, sans chrome work, i just got thrown a bit when others thought it was something else. As was mentioned by Nick, the Moggie had front torsion bar suspension. I remember as a kid seeing Moggies at the side of the road with the front wheel collapsed inwards at the top, my dad said it was a snapped track rod end, and Moggies were notorious for it.

I believe that the model of this one is the earliest Moggie, the 1949-1951 'MM' model. The wheels look right and should be 14" which is now rare to find. I also noticed a folding elbow assembly with a spring and attachment bracket. This makes me think it COULD be the 'Tourer' MM model, as it maybe the hinge for the folding roof. It's not for the bonnet or boot, they're different.

Anyway, thats my best shot, whaddya think?

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff   unusual vehicle relics found near newly discovered pillbox bunker + other stuff  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

wow never heard of this MM model, and that wheel looks exactly like the one I found

shame such a rare car is in pieces and rusted like found ;(

I can see what made you think MM front panel but if you take another look only one of the "headlamp" holes appears to be round,the other is square so I still stand by rear seat support panel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast