Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Vehicle & Weapons Scrap yard - Site 2 (The Big One!)

Article about: by davejb Mainly for the people in England, but on Top Gear last night ,the three presenters visited a British Army depot that disposes of unwanted vehicles of all descriptions, ranging from

Default Re: Vehicle & Weapons Scrap yard - Site 2 (The Big One!)

Quote by davejb View Post
    Mainly for the people in England, but on Top Gear last night ,the three presenters visited a British Army depot that disposes of unwanted vehicles of all descriptions, ranging from landrovers, armoured tracked , bulldozers, mine clearing tracked, and Gazelle helicopters, there were scores of them all for sale it was like an alladins cave, we would have a field day in there drooling
    I saw that one too (In Finland we have to torrent some tv shows because finland always get the shows late...) and I remember that there is a nice swedish AND finnish army vehicle depot around 50km and across the border to Sweden. That is where I'll go when I get my license and some money. Really cheap stuff there, all kind of trucks and smaller cars ranging from 3000€ up.

Brother in law was out there after the 1st Gulf war clearing up the mines etc, they were told anything with a round in the breach was to be disarmed ie bloen up as too dodgy, he broughtr back a video of a T 55 IIRC full of shells of all calibres including a few rusty and V dodgy looking small arms, they videoed the explosio which lifted the turret off like a big saucepan...one guy was videoed jumping up and down on a bar? mine used for disabling tanks and other Heavy vehicles...he said there wa stuff all over the place reckons they found a 'cave' full of Soviet anti aircraft guns DSk's or similar I think still in greaed wrappings!
    I believe they could get dstuff deactivated and then bring it home, I know he had several items including a Soviet anti tank grenade with a parachute built in and a AK47 derrivative but long barrelled with bipod! god knows what happened to it?
    He also had pictures taken of the Basra road where they caught the Republican Guard inside the 'school buses' the roofs of which were like colanders from the anti infantry munitions dropped onto them...scary stuff!

Quote by stefano34 View Post
    Brother in law was out there after the 1st Gulf war clearing up the mines etc, they were told anything with a round in the breach was to be disarmed ie bloen up as too dodgy, he broughtr back a video of a T 55 IIRC full of shells of all calibres including a few rusty and V dodgy looking small arms, they videoed the explosio which lifted the turret off like a big saucepan...one guy was videoed jumping up and down on a bar? mine used for disabling tanks and other Heavy vehicles...he said there wa stuff all over the place reckons they found a 'cave' full of Soviet anti aircraft guns DSk's or similar I think still in greaed wrappings!
    I believe they could get dstuff deactivated and then bring it home, I know he had several items including a Soviet anti tank grenade with a parachute built in and a AK47 derrivative but long barrelled with bipod! god knows what happened to it?
    He also had pictures taken of the Basra road where they caught the Republican Guard inside the 'school buses' the roofs of which were like colanders from the anti infantry munitions dropped onto them...scary stuff!
    Would be amazing to see some of your brother in laws photos if poss-love these kinds of scrap yard pics brilliant stuff! Regards, Tim.

I'll see if he has any left, three marriages and several(too many) close encounters and near misses means he doesn't really like to talk/think about the good/old bad old days...he was one of the youngest guys in the Falklands and still carries mental scars probably why he doesn't settle too well, but I'll ask him next time I see him...he had a captured Argentine(US?) helmet for a while, pretty sure he still has his SF dagger and green beret.
    Last edited by stefano34; 07-29-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Amazing

How I'd love to spend a few hours there wandering around and taking pictures too !! DROOOOOOL

Where in Afghanistan was that at? I spent a year in Bagram and never saw anything like that.

It was in Kandahar province.

Cool banana's
    The detritus of war.
    Cheers for posting.

I saw a bunch of WW1 M16 and M18 German helmets at the bazar in Bagram, they were all rust buckets and the Afghans wanted way more then what they are worth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast