Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Whats a P38 Lightning Propeller Blade Worth???

Article about: £1500 !!! Jeez.........I'll see if I can find one in the dump I'm digging Thanks anyway Tim

Default Re: Whats a P38 Lightning Propeller Blade Worth???

£100? Break your leg getting over there and buying it. You'll never see another like it for that kind of price.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    £100? Break your leg getting over there and buying it. You'll never see another like it for that kind of price.
    Thanks guys for all the interest on this one. Im going to pick it up this Friday and it was dug way back in the early 80's and came from a Photo Recce F5 variant of the P38 that crashed shortly after take-off from Mount Farm airfield in December of 1944. The pilot was killed in this crash. The chap who recovered it was once a member of an aviation group and hes had a number of parts of this aircraft in a secure lock up at his stepdads house for many years. Hes a friend of a friend and thats how we got in touch. He has also got the remains of both turbo-superchargers, plus other engine bits plus one of three props that were recovered. He said there is slight bend in mine but im not concerned in slightest about that as its a crash relic, it has remains of paint on the tip plus markings if i recall right. Once i have it i will post up a load of pictures. Cheers guys, Tim.

Just buy it! £100 is not a lot of money and when also shipping price is ok i do not see any more questions:-). Personally I will pay nothing for it becuse these items are not my collecting objects but i belive actual selling price will be 2-5 times higher.

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Just buy it! £100 is not a lot of money and when also shipping price is ok i do not see any more questions:-). Personally I will pay nothing for it becuse these items are not my collecting objects but i belive actual selling price will be 2-5 times higher.
    I like these things as they are real and they "were there" as they say-real physical pieces of history that actually took part in WW2. I wouldnt spend £4000 on a Knights Cross but there are many here that would had they the available funds. Its what floats your boat really i guess. Regards, Tim.

I've done a check of the US crashes list and there are no F-5 varients listed as lost in fatal circumstances near Mount Fm in Dec 44, Nov 44 yes (that one is listed as 4 miles N of MF). Do you have any details of the dig as there is project underway by BAAC to catalogue as many digs which have taken place within the UK as possible (simply listing aircraft type, serial, date of crash, location, group, when, any major finds and any relevant notes) and the mid 80s is a bit of blank period.

Quote by alclark View Post
    I've done a check of the US crashes list and there are no F-5 varients listed as lost in fatal circumstances near Mount Fm in Dec 44, Nov 44 yes (that one is listed as 4 miles N of MF). Do you have any details of the dig as there is project underway by BAAC to catalogue as many digs which have taken place within the UK as possible (simply listing aircraft type, serial, date of crash, location, group, when, any major finds and any relevant notes) and the mid 80s is a bit of blank period.
    That may have been my mistake as i had just guessed the aircraft was an F5 variant-i have yet to be passed all the paperwork which gives serial number details etc and there are photographs taken during the digging which will be interesting to see too. I should know a lot more tommorow after the meeting. All i know is that the chap has some great parts from the particular crash. Will post up photos and info here once i have it though. Regards, Tim.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    That may have been my mistake as i had just guessed the aircraft was an F5 variant-i have yet to be passed all the paperwork which gives serial number details etc and there are photographs taken during the digging which will be interesting to see too. I should know a lot more tommorow after the meeting. All i know is that the chap has some great parts from the particular crash. Will post up photos and info here once i have it though. Regards, Tim.
    Have just checked again and the P38 flown by Jack Tuggle Jameson did indeed crash in December of 1944 and has been confirmed by former member of the Severnside Aviation Society who was present at the dig held in the 1980's. Obviously there can be mistakes in the lists at times but will confirm all when all details to hand.
    Last edited by Falschirmjager; 03-22-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Took a bit of finding but 1980s information strikes again, wrong year and wrong location, it was near Charmy Down rather than Mount Farm.

Following is from the AAIR list of UK accident reports.

431231 F-5A 42-13322 22PRS 7PRG 234 8 KCR 5 Jamison, Jack T ENG Charmy/ 4 1/2mi SW

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Buy it and let me know if he's got another one please Tim
    Hi Steve, Have done a bit of rooting around. In all there were three propeller blades recovered from this P38 crash site. The one guy i managed to track down who still has his wont part with it for any less than £1500!!! They are very rare though as the P38 was the least produced of US fighters/recon aircraft in WW2. Regards, Tim.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Hi Steve, Have done a bit of rooting around. In all there were three propeller blades recovered from this P38 crash site. The one guy i managed to track down who still has his wont part with it for any less than £1500!!! They are very rare though as the P38 was the least produced of US fighters/recon aircraft in WW2. Regards, Tim.
    Take it that's a "no" then? Mind you if i had £1500 and that was what the guy wanted id still have bought it as where else would you get offered another with provenance? Regards, Tim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast