Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Auction coming up what thinkth you?

Article about: Coming up for sale, these are the pictures for the sale so far

Quote by kc1 View Post
    Whilst we are on the subject of rust and placing of items over it how does one tell. I ask this from experience of the likes of hillman avenger wings where a pin hole in the paint could lead to rust bubbling up under what appeared to be paint protected metal often some distance away, so how can you tell that bubbling under a decal isnt just rust that has travelled?
    Hi, it's not " rust bubbling " that I am looking at here, it is the clear lines / scrapes of good old wear patina that is running on the helmets surface and continuing underneath the decals. Leon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Auction coming up what thinkth you?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, it's not " rust bubbling " that I am looking at here, it is the clear lines / scrapes of good old wear patina that is running on the helmets surface and continuing underneath the decals. Leon.
    Phil, look right below the vent. There appears to be a paint chip that is partially covered by the SS decal. This is what I think Leon is referring to.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Just noticed the grey paint. Appears to be on top of the green.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

kc1
    ?

O.k i have it in hand which doesnt help me because i havent the experience to tell. I can do 70's waterslides end off. I've done more photos please see them, i can do more of whatever.
    The liner pins are straight, i have seen reused and can see the difference there.
    There appears to be green over grey to my eye with splashes of grey over the green especially at the rear. This looks to me to be paint splatter from a job done to close to the helmet in a shed, but you decide.
    The inner dome is covered in what appears to be either varnish or some gunk which has been applied to the liner hence its colour and greasy feel.
    Fire away gentlemen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Auction coming up what thinkth you?   Auction coming up what thinkth you?  

Auction coming up what thinkth you?   Auction coming up what thinkth you?  

Hi kc1, you won't let this one go will you, did you buy this? Much better pics anyway. I think this helmet has been put together to deceive, as I said in post 1 the liner and chinstrap are not good, repros in my opinion. I did notice the flecks of grey paint inside and outside which is odd and the decals don't sit right with me, all in all a bit of a put together helmet, but hey see what others think?
    Last edited by Blackdog; 08-27-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Hello again , as long as my eye's are not deceiving me those decals appear to show the classic modern trait of "saw tooth" printing. Can you see the razor point edges all along the areas that should be smooth and flat such as the arms of the swastika? That is what I'm seeing, but I have had four beers at the time of writing!! Leon.

MAP
    ?

My final verdict. Post war painted helmet (look around the rivets. Not splatter) heavily scrubbed and fake decals slapped on.

In addition to the above, these photos clearly show there is no darker black edge around the edges of the runes when they were overlaid on the silver pulver.

I too think the liner is faked and aged to deceive. Can not comment on the chin strap.

I would return and get your $ back.

It is the sawtooth decal fake, that's all that really matters as the whole item is therefore compromised, whatever else is said. Apologies for not pussyfooting around this as is usually the case since Doug and Frank went west.

Another for comparison.

Auction coming up what thinkth you?

Tired by it all, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

MAP
    ?

I too miss the straight talk of Doug and Frank.

I'm studying hard and trying to learn though so i can be an asset instead of a "me too"

kc1
    ?

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, its hard to make a call from the first auctioneers photos. I'm glad to have had it in hand its a good learning process, the circles i move in these items dont come to light very often so its hard to pick up knowledge that way.
    I can see now a definite cavity under the party decal which means that there must have been paint loss prior to its application.
    Back it goes and i must attend to some French beer i have to drown my sorrows

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast