Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

THE Austrian SS.

Article about: I would guess production stopped on the first combat models in 1919 due to Versailles, there would be plenty of surplus for the small Reichswehr in the inter-war years. Commercial models of

Default Re: THE Austrian SS.

I would guess production stopped on the first combat models in 1919 due to Versailles, there would be plenty of surplus for the small Reichswehr in the inter-war years. Commercial models of similar shape to the WW1 helmet were produced in the thirties for the SS and other organisations. I am not sure if this style was continued in production into the war, I assume not. I could be way off though, First war pots are not really my main area.

Quote by DougB View Post
    You are in fact correct! Thanks to Radovan on GHW2 for the following information on this maker of helmet;

It is the producer's shortcut "BGB" and shell size 66.
    BGB - Brauchbar and Gottlieb brothers, Brno (Bohemia).
    Same as my tranny Doug, I knew I recognised that profile. My lot number is B 186 however, and in green rather than sexy black Is this firm a notably uncommon maker? Also, does yours have any evidence of once having a comb on top before the reissue? Mine has a couple of pinpricks at the top of the forehead and in the same area at the rear, perhaps brazed over or perhaps just filled with paint.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement THE Austrian SS.
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Doug the date of birth and town of birth are the same and the Volksbund sometimes have SS ranks recorded as Heer , this also occurs in many of the Deutsche Soldaten Friedhof in particular those in the East where on the graves the ranks will be marked as Heer .If he was in fact an Obersturmfuhrer he may be in John Moore's Fuhrerliste , worthy of further investigation !

cheers

Paul
    Paul, I overlooked those details. Interesting!

?

Quote by Kiwi63 View Post
    Thanks Doug, I should prob do a google on this, but... exactly how many years were these German Helmuts ( the classic shape) produced? ... post WWI , mid 30's to 1944? ... the devil is definately in the detail isnt it ... I doubt you still get any "surprises" these days?

Cheers mate
    No surprises, always learning! Once someone says they know it all is when the day they bought their first fake. We are all human and the knowledge well is deep indeed but always more water to be found by digging deeper! I cannot say when this firm stopped making these helmets, I would guess 1918-19. Perhaps many were commercially produced up until 1934-5? There were so many WW1 pattern helmet makers far more than WW2 and TR era and I have not studied that in detail, and not near my reference books tonight.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6