Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Better pics...of my grandfather's helmet.

Article about: Thanks Samir! I'm just glad I could finally get up some better pictures for you before I go out of town again...why would they put two stickers on top of each other?

Default Re: Better pics...of my grandfather's helmet.

Thanks Samir! I'm just glad I could finally get up some better pictures for you before I go out of town again...why would they put two stickers on top of each other?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Better pics...of my grandfather's helmet.
    P
    Many

?

Quote by goodtimepete View Post
    Thanks Samir! I'm just glad I could finally get up some better pictures for you before I go out of town again...why would they put two stickers on top of each other?
    In this case, a field/depot reissue.

?

I think this helmet is good looks like an honest field reissue to me. But I am far from an expert on SS helmets so I would wait for other opinions

?

This is a weird one. The paint inside the shell and the top coat exterior looks like no kind of military or depot reissue paint I've ever seen. The heavy flaking and peeling is like that of a thick house paint and the decals over the paint runs and damage is usually a huge red flag. The decal under the party decal doesn't look like another party decal. The decals I can't find fault with by pics. This is one I'd have to have in hand to study.

Well i'm stumpt!! Thanks for the super photo's Kiwipete,this one really is odd!! Those decals look like fine pocher's and as I said in my first post you can clearly see the second runic decal beneath the other one.I just do not understand that paint though,i have never seen such thick flakey paint on a helmet,especially one that "appears" to be re-issue/re-furb? I know you are new to this forum,but I really would consider sending Doug a personal mail and asking him to make an in hand inspection,i'm sure he would be more than happy to help you out(he has great experience of SS helmets,just look at his wall thread!!) Leon.

For what it's worth, if it's even relevant...I've seen similar paint on Italian M33 helmets before. Paint so thick it would get flakes and crackling like this one seems to show.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    For what it's worth, if it's even relevant...I've seen similar paint on Italian M33 helmets before. Paint so thick it would get flakes and crackling like this one seems to show.
    Interesting,thanks William,so it may be possible that this helmet was period re-painted/re-furbished in Italy,rather than a post war repaint with original pocher's applied? I hope kiwipete sends this one to Doug for an in hand so we can get an answer to this little conundrum!! Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    I hope kiwipete sends this one to Doug for an in hand
    OP was a different Pete, Leon ..... goodtimepete ..... I do not know where in this ol' world he resides?

( and if this turns out to be a rare original then he WILL have a good time )

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I'm a noob at this stuff, but could it be the paint has reacted with something? Agressive cleaning products maybe?

The reason I say this is because I see this wrinkly paint often on old cars near the master cylinder, it happens when someone spills brake fluid on the paint and it will get wrinkly just like with this helmet.

?

That's a possibility but would expect to see damage to the decals. It may have been a field reissue at one time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast