Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Better pics...of my grandfather's helmet.

Article about: Thanks Samir! I'm just glad I could finally get up some better pictures for you before I go out of town again...why would they put two stickers on top of each other?

Default Re: Better pics...of my grandfather's helmet.

To me it looks the part.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Better pics...of my grandfather's helmet.
    P
    Many

Quote by Danmark View Post
    OP was a different Pete, Leon ..... goodtimepete ..... I do not know where in this ol' world he resides?

( and if this turns out to be a rare original then he WILL have a good time )

Cheers, Dan
    Sorry, my mistake! Apoligies to the REAL PETE in question.

Post-war repainted with original decals added on?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Post-war repainted with original decals added on?
    More than possible! A tough one this that needs an in hand,i was very interested in the theory that this may have been Italian helmet paint though.Just more questions arise than answers,but it certainly has something about it and stands a chance of being an unusual helmet!! Leon.

?

I finally had the chance to look at this on a screen larger than an iPad, they are good decals. This helmet has been painted with the black paint, possibly done postwar. It is unusual how the paint is flaking/peeling/lifting, I would suspect heat damage at some point, perhaps a heat gun was used to strip off an exterior layer of black. Thanks for providing the better photos Pete, the helmet is still a mystery on some notes that an in hand would more than likely answer but I feel quite confident in saying the decals are authentic and period applied.

On another note my apologies for giving you a hard time Pete. It is common for 0 posters to show up here and try to run a con on unsuspecting members so my guard is very high, and my tolerance for opinions based upon poor photos is at an all time low. When you consider the best fakes need an in hand, even good photos are not enough.

Thanks once again for providing the better pictures.

Cheers
    Doug

As regards the suggestion about Italian paint, I used to own an Italian lid that had been overpainted and that was flakey and crazed and it also had a stencilled unit insignia on it so it was wartime done.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I agree with Doug. I myself have never seen paint damage like this before, so a first for me. Now that u posted clear pics, and we have what appears to be a legit period helmet, I can now believe the grandfather story. Good luck, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Samir

And so, we can Finally tell you.....do Not let the kids play GI Joe with it in the yard! lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

How about someone got this helmet, repainted it after the war because the original paint was damaged and added two original decals right where the first ones were?
    Just my Sherlock Holmes opinion... XD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3