Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Black SS Transitional Helmet

Article about: This is a commercial manufacture helmet owned by Martin Moser, a SS officer from Standarte 52.Moser was SS member #23019 and NSDAP member #612363. He evidently purchased this helmet as an Un

Default Re: Black SS Transitional Helmet

The Coleman collection is always a treat for us. It is the foundation of this site.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Black SS Transitional Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Superb example of a civic black ceremonial SS helmet Bob, I remember it from Darryl's collection. Of note F-B it was I who bought the remainder of Darryl's wonderful collection and while he seems to have moved on from helmet collecting he remains a true gentleman.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Superb example of a civic black ceremonial SS helmet Bob, I remember it from Darryl's collection. Of note F-B it was I who bought the remainder of Darryl's wonderful collection and while he seems to have moved on from helmet collecting he remains a true gentleman.
    Doug do you have one in your collection?
    I remember a few Himmler style helmet but not sure if this was one of the models.
    chris

?

Doug, that explains why he only pops up from time to time on WAF. From the very few pm's I had with him n forum chats, seems like a very nice guy. Be nice to hear more from him, very nice guy.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Thanks. We miss Darryl. If you are in touch with him, please extend my regards. Darryl, Bob Coleman and I originally began together on the German Daggers site, I believe, but my memory is dim of what is so recently past.

Wonderful helmet Bob. This was as I recall Martin Moser, who was a member of the KTL-der W-SS at a point around 1943 (I did the research at NARA and think I am remembering correctly). I actually was the third owner of this, prior to Darryl, about 15-18 years ago. It came from a midwest collector who got it from a large grouping of items, some of which originated with Andrew Mollo-- although I can't say for certain this also was a Mollo piece ever at any time. But what I thought was unique was the color; I believe this to be what Baer describes as "Schwartzgrau" or grey black. Great helmet !!
    Kelly
    and PS--yes, Darryl is a gentleman and a credit to this hobby.

Thank you Kelly for that info.
    Welcome to the forum
    chris

Hello FB,
    you raise an excellent point here and I will try to find a copy of my research I did on Moser-- If it turns out he was one of the Austrian lads, then you've nailed it. In reading through many of your posts, I find you to have a sense of the historical context of these SS artifacts most of us dream about acquiring.
    Regards,
    Kelly

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thanks for the wonderful images. As a footnote, one should note that this helmet must have been bought in the course of 1938, when the Standarte 52 in Krems re emerged from its illegal existence in the Dollfuss and Schuschnigg state, i.e. quasi Fascist Austria as it was in the years 1933-1938, when the Nazi party and especially the SS was outlawed. It would be interesting to know whether Moser hightailed it to Bavaria with many fellow Austrian Nazis, or was thrown in the slammer, or what.

A very impressive and nice helmet. We miss Darryl. Does anyone know what has become of him?

Happy headwear.

Quote by Kelly H View Post
    Hello FB,
    you raise an excellent point here and I will try to find a copy of my research I did on Moser-- If it turns out he was one of the Austrian lads, then you've nailed it. In reading through many of your posts, I find you to have a sense of the historical context of these SS artifacts most of us dream about acquiring.
    Regards,
    Kelly

Thank you. Historical context, as you call it, is my profession. Since 2009, an excellent book has emerged on the Austrian SS by a very fine young historian. It contains a wonderful wealth of knowledge on the theme I mentioned in 2009. Black SS Transitional HelmetBlack SS Transitional Helmet

This is great, thanks. I will try to obtain a copy for my archive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast