Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Camo ss questions

Article about: Hello, I was just wondering a camo ss even existed. If they did, how rare are they and where would they be used?

Default Camo ss questions

Hello, I was just wondering a camo ss even existed. If they did, how rare are they and where would they be used?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Camo ss questions
    P
    Many

Default Re: Camo ss questions

Are you talking about a camo paint scheme or cloth cover unique to the SS?

Yes, camo SS helmets exist both as painted camo, netting, chicken wire, snow whitewash, etc., etc. and cloth covers, but they are among the most rare helmets. As such, they are very expensive...

They would have been used pretty much anywhere. Soldiers did well to match the camo on their helmets to the environmental conditions they were fighting in.

?

Yes they did exist, are very rare, and were used in all theatres of war. I have several that are researched, the netted camo (net is period but I put it on for display) is a Germania veteran. The dark coloured one was brought back by an American veteran who traded items for the helmet with a Soviet soldier at the Elbe. You can see winter camo, tan (used in Italy, again a researched piece) and I recently picked one up a tan one that was used in Tunisia by an SS/SD soldier, Normandy camo's, etc.

Cheers
    Doug

Ok thanks guys! I was wondering because there was this helmet on craigslist and im piecing information together to figure of it it is real or not.

?

Tread with extreme caution.

Also, the colors of the camo are redish- brown, a yellow- green and a darker green, like the dark color on a watermelon. (sorry didn't know how to describe the colors lol)

Snow camo would be worn in the snow, swamp camo would be worn in the swamp, tree camo would be worn in the forest. That's pretty self explanatory. But if you are looking for actual locations, snow camo would be worn where it snowed. Swamp camo would be worn where it was swampy, and tree camo would be worn where there were a lot of trees. Seriously though, camo covers are pretty rare. Few come up for sale. I can't remember the last time I saw an SS camo cover for sale on a dealer's site, other then the collector's guild, which, by the way...has an amazing Japanese 1st pattern navy helmet cover for sale right now if anybody is interested

Camo ss questionsHere is the front of the helmets camo. Not going to bother with the decal because a. want to find out myself and b. Too far away.... Also Doug, I wish I was you with all the ss helmets. Seems like you have them all

Quote by DougB View Post
    Yes they did exist, are very rare, and were used in all theatres of war. I have several that are researched, the netted camo (net is period but I put it on for display) is a Germania veteran. The dark coloured one was brought back by an American veteran who traded items for the helmet with a Soviet soldier at the Elbe. You can see winter camo, tan (used in Italy, again a researched piece) and I recently picked one up a tan one that was used in Tunisia by an SS/SD soldier, Normandy camo's, etc.

Cheers
    Doug
    Stunning! Glad to see someone with such great knowledge maintains the preservation of these beautiful helmets!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast