Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Charlemagne

Article about: BAddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd helmet. I am still looking for my Charlemagne helmet ,I do know I will never find one. chris

Default Re: Charlemagne

BAddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd helmet.
    I am still looking for my Charlemagne helmet ,I do know I will never find one.
    chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Charlemagne
    P
    Many

?

Considering the unit was nearly wiped from the face of the earth by the Soviets in the battles leading up to Berlin and finally annihilated on the steps of the Reichstag I doubt a real Charlemagne SS helmet is out there and those that may have survived I think would be no decal examples anyway.

This example is adorned with reproduction decals.

Hi Doug

Any info why the Charlemagne division also wore heer decals.
    Only few of the division men had the French color ,most of there helmets did not have any decals.
    chris

?

Agreed, very bad reproduction decals. I would be surprised if one would surface as the division was small. If one does, it would be one with a researchable name. Would be a very cool piece that's for sure.

- - Updated - -

Chris, some were formed from the Heer if i'm not mistaken.

?

They originated as a Heer unit and in 43 I believe they were incorporated into the Waffen SS as foreign volunteers.

Just spent some time looking at videos and pictures of the Charlemagne division ( my favorite SS division)
    Looks like there is very few helmets with the French colors one unit only had one.
    chris

I think there is only one original in a museum in the north of France. At Ambleteuse.

?

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    I think there is only one original in a museum in the north of France. At Ambleteuse.
    Could be a fake. Don't sleep on museums. They are known to have reproductions as most visitors couldn't tell the difference. By any chance, do u have a photo?

I have seen one good one in a private collection in Alsace .
    probably 20 years ago.
    Found in German in a barn with a uniform.
    The uniform was in terrible condition
    chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2