MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A curious SS helmet

Article about: Hello Guys, today I post a curious SS helmets of a friend of mine, that has a cut off “visor”. Some collectors speculate that could be for muslims volunteer corps of SS, as there where helme

Default A curious SS helmet

A curious SS helmetA curious SS helmetA curious SS helmetA curious SS helmetHello Guys,
    today I post a curious SS helmets of a friend of mine, that has a cut off “visor”. Some collectors speculate that could be for muslims volunteer corps of SS, as there where helmets like that for Turkish armed forces in WWI. Does anyone have any suggestions or news about it?.
    Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A curious SS helmet
    P
    Many

Default re: A curious SS helmet

I have never seen or heard of such an item and it looks to have been done post manufacture, so I can only speculate when and why this was done. If it was done during the war, I would guess that it was done at a small unit level, to fit inside a confined space, maybe an AFV or Panzer, though this is only a guess. I look forward to hearing what others think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Never seen one of these, i too want to know more about this lid.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

What is the maker/size/lot number?

Gents, the "Original" authorised version of this helmet was the M18 "Turk" Stahlhelm, designed and manufactured in Germany at the end of WW1, it is believed that a small amount, if any, were delivered to the Ottoman forces, most ended up in Freikorps hands. see here on its history Google Translate
    it would appear this is the inspiration for the helmet shown here, that appears to be crude cut down M35/40, the original M18 Turk having rolled edges...as I am not upto speed on TR period helmets I cannot comment on its originality. Prost ! Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Gents, the "Original" authorised version of this helmet was the M18 "Turk" Stahlhelm, designed and manufactured in Germany at the end of WW1, it is believed that a small amount, if any, were delivered to the Ottoman forces, most ended up in Freikorps hands. see here on its history Google Translate
    it would appear this is the inspiration for the helmet shown here, that appears to be crude cut down M35/40, the original M18 Turk having rolled edges...as I am not upto speed on TR period helmets I cannot comment on its originality. Prost ! Steve.
    I was thinking the same thing. The front was cut off very poorly.

?

This I highly doubt was a Muslim SS volunteer helmet.

?

How about the decal?, Is this the real deal, if so someone has ruined a pretty rare helmet, could it be one of those rare oddities used inside armoured vehicles when looking through sights etc?

?

Default Re: A curious SS helmet

Quote by davejb View Post
    How about the decal?, Is this the real deal, if so someone has ruined a pretty rare helmet, could it be one of those rare oddities used inside armoured vehicles when looking through sights etc?
    Decal is bad. Round bottom fake.

?

Default Re: A curious SS helmet

Erich I am willing to give this decal half a chance, the photo angles and photos themselves are a mess but it could be the angle. It is in such bad condition as to make it difficult to tell but I do not like how there is lime green paint under the decal. But at some point I think it has been liberated. Curious piece. You still could be right on the decal, not ruling it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast