Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DAK M42 or post war creation

Article about: Just starting so bear with me. I'm under the impression this is an original helmet. Post war was painted with leather added. Am I anywhere close? :/

Default DAK M42 or post war creation

Just starting so bear with me. I'm under the impression this is an original helmet. Post war was painted with leather added. Am I anywhere close? :/
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK M42 or post war creation   DAK M42 or post war creation  

DAK M42 or post war creation   DAK M42 or post war creation  

DAK M42 or post war creation   DAK M42 or post war creation  

DAK M42 or post war creation  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK M42 or post war creation
    P
    Many

I’m no expert, can’t speak concretely on helms with painted palms; but I do know the palm decal varieties did not exist. Can’t imagine it was acceptable to paint a large palm tree on the side over decal. The rust also looks pretty new to my eyes. The experts I’m sure will chime in!

The shell might be original, but everything else looks like postwar meddling to me.

It's not a DAK helmet. German desert camouflage had more of a pinkish hue to it, as that was the colour that best blended into the environment. This looks more like 'Dunkelgelb' or Ordnance Tan, as it's known. This was used to camouflage helmets on occasion, although this shade of yellow doesn't look quite right. It's a bit too vibrant. I'm confident that the liner and chinstrap are reproductions too, with the chinstrap possibly being of the 'humpback buckle' variety. The liner looks brand new, not commensurate with the condition of the shell at all.

Not one I'd want. Best leave it alone!

Regards, B.B.

I'm by no means an expert but the liner looks too new compared to the condition of the paint job. Whatever it is, I'd say the liner is not original to the helmet (just my opinion, again- no expert.)

The palm/swastika insignia was not used on helmets.

TWS
    ?

Hard pass for me.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Junk. Really nothing to say. Fake paint, liner, fantasy "palm"

Oh....and the print out from Peter Nash. Is that this helmet? Read below

German Combat Helmets 1933 - 1945 by Peter J Nash, Review.....

It now gets me a bit worried about the other camo you posted. The photos were poor and I thought it might stand a chance...but if the source has all fakes....I would pass.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

The Nash book isn't even fit for toilet paper. Too scratchy.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Here is a link to a great website maintained by a seasoned expert and member here (Schwerpunkt ) . Check out the helmet 101 section. A great primer for beginners and still useful for experienced collectors as well. You should sign up for his blog notifications

German Helmet Vault – Collecting German WW2 helmets

And here is an article on Nash ' s book

Peter Nash’s book deconstructed in 1 2 3 – German Helmet Vault
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Leave it wherever you found it .... or better still destroy it so some other unfortunate collector doesn’t get stung by it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast