Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

DD Allgemeine SS Helmet - Droopbill Style Shell

Article about: I haven't posted one in a while, so I decided to put this one out there today. This is my newest acquisition, from Dave S.. It is a commercial droopbill style shell with no maker/size stamps

Default Re: DD Allgemeine SS Helmet - Droopbill Style Shell

My compliments on a great pickup Jim, although I prefer the term black parade helmet to Allgemeine ;-)[/QUOTE]

Good point to bring up Doug. One of my pet peeves in collecting is that collectors and dealers alike call any black SS item "Allgemeine SS," which of course they are not.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DD Allgemeine SS Helmet - Droopbill Style Shell
    P
    Many

Beautiful!!! Thats all i need to say! Leon.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    My compliments on a great pickup Jim, although I prefer the term black parade helmet to Allgemeine ;-)
    Good point to bring up Doug. One of my pet peeves in collecting is that collectors and dealers alike call any black SS item "Allgemeine SS," which of course they are not.[/QUOTE]

Hi Bob, I think the rank written on the liner, "SS Mann", is an Allgemeine SS rank designation, essentially equivalent to the Waffen SS rank of Oberschutze, or PFC in the US Army. I do believe that this one is an Allgemeine SS helmet. Am I mistaken? I was relying on the "Comparative Rank" chart in the old Mollo book. Best regards, Jim G.

?

The SSVT may have had the rank "SS-Mann" designation as well, but i'm not sure. I know the SSVT used "SS-Staffelmann", but it may have been dropped later to "SS-Mann".

Samir

Great pick up and a rarity in great condition!!!.....My wife is like the Mafia....I have to pay a protection fee for her silence
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by SSamir View Post
    The SSVT may have had the rank "SS-Mann" designation as well, but i'm not sure. I know the SSVT used "SS-Staffelmann", but it may have been dropped later to "SS-Mann".

Samir
    Hi Samir, The rank Mann was used by the SA, and SS Mann was one of the original ranks designated by the Allgemeine SS in the early days. The SS Mann rank continued to be used by the Allgemeine SS, but not the Waffen SS, through to the end of the War. It was the lowest SS rank that had collar insignia, the collar tab for SS Mann was simply a blank black tab. I am still convinced that the helmet was used by a member of the Allgemeine SS. My other example is not so marked, and so it would be more properly referred to as a Parade helmet. Maybe I am wrong. Best regards, Jim G.

?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Hi Samir, The rank Mann was used by the SA, and SS Mann was one of the original ranks designated by the Allgemeine SS in the early days. The SS Mann rank continued to be used by the Allgemeine SS, but not the Waffen SS, through to the end of the War. It was the lowest SS rank that had collar insignia, the collar tab for SS Mann was simply a blank black tab. I am still convinced that the helmet was used by a member of the Allgemeine SS. My other example is not so marked, and so it would be more properly referred to as a Parade helmet. Maybe I am wrong. Best regards, Jim G.
    Hi Jim,

Yes, you are correct. The "SS-Mann" was the lowest rank that was used by the Allgemeine & the SA, but I can't quite remember where I read it, but the SSVT used the rank "SS-Staffelmann" up until 1936 or early 37, then it was dropped for "SS-Mann". I read this in one of my books a few months back, it could have been "The Order of the Deaths Head", "Anatomy of the SS State" or "The Black Corps". It had to be one of them. Hope this helped, Jim. =)

Samir

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Hi Jim,

Yes, you are correct. The "SS-Mann" was the lowest rank that was used by the Allgemeine & the SA, but I can't quite remember where I read it, but the SSVT used the rank "SS-Staffelmann" up until 1936 or early 37, then it was dropped for "SS-Mann". I read this in one of my books a few months back, it could have been "The Order of the Deaths Head", "Anatomy of the SS State" or "The Black Corps". It had to be one of them. Hope this helped, Jim. =)

Samir
    That is very interesting.
    Thank you for posting that.
    chris

?

Excellent find!

I leave my helmets in my truck until it's safe to sneak them into the 'storage cupboard of secrets' where they pretty much stay. I've had 3 lids in there for over 18 months now.

One day the time will be right to get them into the open and soon hopefully as a nice 2nd pattern AK pith arrived this week and an M35 DD Luft is on its way as we speak.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast