Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

DD SS Ground Dug

Article about: by Kiwipete I would be guessing that if they went throught the process of putting fake decals on it they would have done to the local barber for sum hair and then sum blood from a farm mix i

Default Re: DD SS Ground Dug

Hi. I'm rather surprised that some collectors seem rather squeemish about this helmet. IMO the nature of collecting these TR items is somewhat morbid to begin with. Many of these souvineers were taken from the dead but because they have been cleaned up they are exceptable? On the other hand lets say the helmet belonged to a survivor. Is ti possible they were responsible for the death of Allied or maybe worked in the death camps? Does having the "blood and guts" make it any worse or make it too real? I feel these items should be collected/preserved for their historical significance but let's face it, this was a dark and violent period of history and that "clean" SS item may have been through horrific happenings.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DD SS Ground Dug
    P
    Many

Quote by popcorn View Post
    Hi. I'm rather surprised that some collectors seem rather squeemish about this helmet. IMO the nature of collecting these TR items is somewhat morbid to begin with. Many of these souvineers were taken from the dead but because they have been cleaned up they are exceptable? On the other hand lets say the helmet belonged to a survivor. Is ti possible they were responsible for the death of Allied or maybe worked in the death camps? Does having the "blood and guts" make it any worse or make it too real? I feel these items should be collected/preserved for their historical significance but let's face it, this was a dark and violent period of history and that "clean" SS item may have been through horrific happenings.
    It isn't a matter of being ''squeamish''. This item isn't a vet pick up. It isn't the item, it is how this one appears to have been acquired. Inanimate objects are just that and buying a vet bring-back helmet doesn't itself spur any horrible acts, however, buying a helmet which may have been dug up with the former owner in his last resting place might actually encourage such digging to continue........see the difference?

?

Contrary to the Hollywood version of history a police helmet is more likely to have seen terrible atrocities than an SS combat helmet.

?

That about sums it up for me. I could not agree more.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9