Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

DD SS m35?

Article about: Hey guys! Well there was a guy on one of the many facebook pages i'm on who recently acquired a large lot of vet bringback items. One of the items included a SS double decal Lid (I think its

Nice to see another double decal SS come out of the woodwork and in the US of all places (sorry just a jab at a quote in another topic questioning the amount of SS helmets in the US).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DD SS m35?
    P
    Many

Quote by DougB View Post
    The Frank helmet is Kelly's helmet, he posted it here a couple months ago. And I can guarantee it was not 8k! Maybe more like 25k!

Anyway, the helmet in question looks to be a good SS ET, it's an ET66. Does it have a dome stamp, what is the liner band date (it will be on the inside stamping on the left side when holding the helmet with the interior facing you and the skirt to the bottom) and lot number (stamped on the inside of the skirt )? Better / bigger decal pics would help, but I like what I see thus far.
    Doug, I wish the Frank helmet had been only 25k! ;-) (Guys, take a look at the thread Doug mentions--it was a great story on how Bruce fished it out of the woodwork, from the family.)

And yes, Doug is correct about this helmet being a good ET66. The owner saw my website and approached me about authenticating it. Pictures are poor, but the helmet is good. He got some decent German medals and badges with it as well. Cheers, Kelly

?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but what is the most infamous SS helmet known to exist? I always thought it was the Frank helmet that Kelly owns. Your thoughts, gents!

Regards
    Samir

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but what is the most infamous SS helmet known to exist? I always thought it was the Frank helmet that Kelly owns. Your thoughts, gents!

Regards
    Samir
    Samir, I have Fritz Knoechlein's helmet. He was hanged for the shooting of British pows at LeParadis in 1940. He received the Knights Cross as commander of Regiment "Norge". I will post it another day, regards, Kelly

?

Very interesting! Yes, I am familiar with Fritz Koechlein. I read about him a few months ago. If my memory serves me correct the book was called "Murder in paradise". Can't wait to see the helmet!

?

While I would agree the helmets of Kelly's belonged to infamous, perhaps notorious people for me any camp helmet deserves mention as notorious, perhaps the most being the Auschwitz provenanced helmet now with a Russian collector. I had the opportunity to buy an SS helmet a few years ago with the exact name and rank to one of the few German Chelmno death camp guards. Unfortunately for me the chain of ownership and provenance was not bulletproof and the name could have been to another SS soldier. I own helmets that belonged to the camps of Natzweiler, Dachau and to a guard from Sachsenhausen/Oranienburg. I also had the chance to buy a helmet to a Mauthuasen doctor who was not on the war criminal list but the asking price was far too high.

Kelly I have a pretty good idea it was worth a lot more than 25k ;-) its one of the best out there,
    Doug

?

Doug, please do share your examples. Always a pleasure seeing your collection.

Regards
    Samir

?

Quote by Kelly H View Post
    Samir, I have Fritz Knoechlein's helmet. He was hanged for the shooting of British pows at LeParadis in 1940. He received the Knights Cross as commander of Regiment "Norge". I will post it another day, regards, Kelly
    Would love to see the Knochlein Helmet Kelly , another one with infamous historical connections !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Just found this photo at my cpu of Knochlein with RK and Regiment Norge patch, anyone got one of him wearing the helmet?

DD SS m35?

Cheers, Mads

?

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Doug, please do share your examples. Always a pleasure seeing your collection.

Regards
    Samir

My entire German helmet collection is posted in the collections section of GHW2, with the exception of several new additions the past few months.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5