Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dug SS Helmet?

Article about: by Paul E 100 % per cent correct decal and helmet - it would be interesting to see peoples opinions if i had posted this for discussion !! Paul - that's why I bumped it back up ........ to q

Default Dug SS Helmet?

Does this decal look consistent for a dug-relic M42 SS lid?

Or not? Do decals give any "rust proofing" to an area on the helmet? Does the rust form on the helmet finish or under the helmet finish? What's tougher, paint finish or paint finish with a decal on it?Dug SS Helmet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dug SS Helmet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Dug SS Helmet?

and a comparo with a real decalDug SS Helmet?

I really look forward to seeing what an expert has to say but for me I'd have to wonder how anyone could fake that!

I can't imagine how a decal could be placed over rust like that and still look authentic...if I was the buyer here, I think i'd be getting my wallet out...

or more likely a first pattern decal?Dug SS Helmet?

I need some more pictures,I have a bad felling about this.The pictures are not clearn plus would like a picture of the full helmet also.I would say fake.

?

Looks like a Q decal, there were more than 2 SS decals BTW, the nomeclatures for "first" and "second" pattern are long gone. Need closeup pictures as nothing can be determined from this. And yes SS decals along with others that used metallic pulver have an anti rusting agent in them commonly found in modern chrome plating today.

As for if yours is real or not, it cannot be told with the photos you have provided.

?

Dug SS Helmet?Dug SS Helmet?

Here is another one for comparison found on the Narva Front !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

*bump* did we arrive at a conclusion on this piece? ( as one would help with recently found relics )
    Dan

Great thread pickup Dan! That helmet posted by Paul is crazy! The metal is melting away from corrosion yet the decal looks minty fresh-ish yet it is still under the advancing rust so surely can't be a forgery?

?

100 % per cent correct decal and helmet Glenn , there has been much discussion on the forum lately about SS Relic Helmets most of it negative , unfortunately paranoia seems to be taking over a bit it would be interesting to see peoples opinions if i had posted this for discussion !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast