Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Early original Stahlhelm

Article about: Early German original Stahlhelm?! LOL

That helmet-type is called a "Salade"... In WWI as Germany sought to develop the first Stahlhelm (M16), they deliberately looked to the Salade for design inspiration...You could say that the Salade is the grandfather of the German Stahlhelm as we know it today...
    cheers, Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early original Stahlhelm
    P
    Many

Early original StahlhelmHi Glenn, thanks for that, I just read the first few pages of The a history of the German Steel Helmet and could not see a definite link, I am not a Lid Man so I didn't know until I Googled it, I can see why they did.
    Here's another pic of two.Early original Stahlhelm
    Regards SK

?

Whats the matter with you guys,It is a SS helmet, it has a Steel Slope to it

?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    That helmet-type is called a "Salade"... In WWI as Germany sought to develop the first Stahlhelm (M16), they deliberately looked to the Salade for design inspiration...You could say that the Salade is the grandfather of the German Stahlhelm as we know it today...
    cheers, Glenn
    Fascinating information.

The metal working skills of the artisans who made the helmets and armour shown in this thread are extraordinary and superb. I was recently looking at other examples in the Fitzwilliam museum in Cambridge and marveling at how such beautiful and complex shapes could be created with simple hand tools. Thank you to SK for showing them.

Regards, Philip

?

I have a friend who is a qualified armourer, ie the true meaning of the word, the types of armour he has created not only for customers, museums and films are excellent ,and he uses old methods of shaping, heating ,beating, rivetting etc, he even made a suit of armour for Arnold Swartzenegger, but the film never got off the drawing board, it was to be called "Crusader"

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    Fascinating information.

The metal working skills of the artisans who made the helmets and armour shown in this thread are extraordinary and superb. I was recently looking at other examples in the Fitzwilliam museum in Cambridge and marveling at how such beautiful and complex shapes could be created with simple hand tools. Thank you to SK for showing them.

Regards, Philip
    Hi Phillip, you are welcome, if you ever go to Paris, go the museum were Napoleon ( grofaz) is buried they have room after room full of these Knights /armour etc, and a far greater supply of German uniforms/Militaria than the German History Museum. but the GHM does have Fred the Greats, Bismarks and all 3 Kaisers uniforms, will post pics at a later date.
    Regards SK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2