Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early SS Stalhelm

Article about: Hi, another early original Stahlhelm from The German History Museum, sorry for the quality of the photo, but all displayed items are in-cased in glass. Regards SK. ( ATTACH=CONFIG]695784[/AT

Default Early SS Stalhelm

Hi, another early original Stahlhelm from The German History Museum, sorry for the quality of the photo, but all displayed items are in-cased in glass.
    Regards SK. ( ATTACH=CONFIG]695784[/ATTACH]Early  SS StalhelmEarly  SS StalhelmEarly  SS StalhelmEarly  SS Stalhelm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early  SS Stalhelm
    P
    Many

?

Not sure the German History Museum has an authentic piece there....many museums have many fakes and reproductions.

Hi Doug, thank you for your comment, I understand they have copies etc, what makes you think this is not original?
    Regards SK

?

I think Doug owns one of these, so I'm sure he knows the difference. I'm curious what that difference is, myself.

Default Ss helmet

Hi Dean, I know Doug is the FB of helmets and await his reply, I am happy to learn Why too.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]697534[/ATTACH
    Regards SK
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early  SS Stalhelm  

I don't remember this helmet. Near the Party uniforms ?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Just from that pic I can see the two outer rings are further apart than on the helmet in post #1. I'm sure there will be other subtle differences that I can't see.

?

I think one of the differences refer to the width of the rings, in post 1 the inner ring is thinner, the actual photo in wear appears to be equal in width on both rings

?

The decal looks to be a known reproduction, circles are different widths, runes are sharp and "short", no cellulose base to the decal and then there is the artificial aging involving scrubbing and tool marking on this one. I also see zero natural decal shrinkage and crazing.

Museums are not experts in rare Militaria and many a reproduction can be seen in museums. In fact there is more combined expertise here on this forum than on any museum staff.

When you talk to museum curators they will say they are representing history and so pieces may be reproduction to give the viewer an idea of what something looked like in a specific period.

They show what history looked like but not necessarily through the use of real artifacts.

?

Well said Doug and very true are local museum in Nanaimo is a prime example of reproductions being used in conjunction with real militaria for the purpose of display and when I walk through the museum and notice that some of the items are either incorrect and or out right forgeries I will mention it to the curator the standard answer is that the average visitor does not know the difference and will never notice.

Regards Mark

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast