Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early SS Stalhelm

Article about: Hi, another early original Stahlhelm from The German History Museum, sorry for the quality of the photo, but all displayed items are in-cased in glass. Regards SK. ( ATTACH=CONFIG]695784[/AT

As Mr. Doug says, this looks like an old fake. Numerous museums in Germany have fake black SS regalia. This reality arises from the fact that the real items are all in our collections, or in mysterious collections in Europe von den alten Kaempfern alte oder neue Probe, which never see the light of day. I do not wish to speak ill of museums at all, as is wont to be the case here and a fact that brings no honor to many, but such material as this is very rare. The bulk of it was destroyed long ago. This fact is why I wish I could arrange to sell my collection to a sound museum in Europe.

- - ------- - -

The Czechs have an above average hoard of real SS regalia. I have seen it in the Heydrich traveling exhibit from the army museum in Praha, which has interesting things.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early  SS Stalhelm
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post

The Czechs have an above average hoard of real SS regalia. I have seen it in the Heydrich traveling exhibit from the army museum in Praha, which has interesting things.
    Interesting, I never knew that.

Regards
    Samir

Quote by SSamir View Post
    Interesting, I never knew that.

Regards
    Samir
    My Slovak family showed me the exhibit when it was in Bratislava (despite the Czechs and Slovaks having parted company, there is still more Czechoslovakia in the joint than meets the eye...) and it is enshrined in a nice book published in Praha by this museum. Our Andreas included some images from said exhibit, too, which are somewhere here.

I will find the title of the book. I bought it in Praha in 2002, I think.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    My Slovak family showed me the exhibit when it was in Bratislava (despite the Czechs and Slovaks having parted company, there is still more Czechoslovakia in the joint than meets the eye...) and it is enshrined in a nice book published in Praha by this museum. Our Andreas included some images from said exhibit, too, which are somewhere here.
    I would love to see those images.

Regards
    Samir

I make or made the rounds in German leading museums and have found many fake pieces of black SS regalia. The persons in charge are too young to know a real item, and such real items
    are too rare and all hoarded up by us. The museum is this website, such as it is.
    In the end, however, there are places in Germany to which I will donate a cap or two when I dispose of my junk.

Hi all, additional clearer pics plus an additional early original ! I agree with FB we/the collectors all own all the good items and doubt museums can afford the crazy prices these days, but I understand years ago it was considerably cheaper or for free of a Vet. You would think that this is Berlin's main history museum and it is their history that they would have original items of the period etc. ATTACH=CONFIG]697733[/ATTACH]Early  SS StalhelmEarly  SS StalhelmEarly  SS Stalhelm
    Regards SK
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early  SS Stalhelm  

?

Yes this is a reproduction indeed. I would not be disappointed in the museum, their charter is not to have all real items but to represent history itself. Collectors such as are here present in this forum have artifacts that should be in museums the world over but I personally would rather show my own collection privately to the studious and interested than the mere passerby. Perhaps one day I will change this thought but today is not that day.

FB I will be in Praha next April as part of a larger historical study and journey and would love to know if this exhibit you speak of will be in Praha then or if there is a site online you can direct me to?

Thanks as always, you are a wealth of knowledge on the subject.

?

I don't trust museums. As soon as very expensive original articles start to show up, the thieves, same clowns that roam these forums, will end up finding a way to steal them out of there. They can easily bribe an employee with replacing the original with a high-end fake, who will know the difference? Would love to donate but a chance I rather not take.

It's a shame to see so many museums putting reproductions in their displays. I used to work at a museum and although we did have some reproductions on display, they were clearly labeled as such. I guess this is probably because the owner was a very experienced collector. I guess it is true that museums want to represent the time period regardless of if the items are from that period or not. I personally like going to museums because of the original artefacts. I can look at websites all day if I wanted to look at what it was like. I personally think it's the original material that brings history to life.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast