Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

EF lid M42

Article about: by Danmark Okay thanks Doug, just seemed a bit odd to me with the gloss & all. Guess that was for parade? I don't know why the color or gloss but certainly not parade. Many of these SS h

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Okay thanks Doug, just seemed a bit odd to me with the gloss & all.
    Guess that was for parade?
    I don't know why the color or gloss but certainly not parade. Many of these SS helmets were painted black postwar for civic use or just to hide that it was an SS helmet (I know of a few right from German families, this was the reason given in each case). But just referencing the EF decal itself those "white spots" are atypical of how that specific decal wears.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EF lid M42
    P
    Many

If was a post war black paint job and the decal exposed via acetone or suchlike then that may have contributed to the effect. There appears to be some visual evidence or residue around it.
    I bet someone wet themselves when it emerged! ( if that were the case )

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Morning all

The helmet is with my Father in USA. He picked it up over there.
    It was very dirty so I told him to wipe it softly with a damp cross and dry it directly afterwards to remove the grime, hence it is glossy in the new pics.

Here it is before the wiping down.

Best
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EF lid M42   EF lid M42  

A dampened lid - that explains things and it now looks quite different! -is that evidence of the original colour at the RH edge of the decal and spotted all over? .........this would be good to see in the flesh I would reckon.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Morning , please excuse me, Iam pumping coffee into my system to deal with another day of looking for war stuff ,,urgh, Iam getting OLD.

I will have to have my dad zap up some more photos. I figured it was wartime finish due to seeing the color underneath the holes in the decal and that scratch running through the shield.

It was so spotty in a musty way I figured to just wipe it down real fast.

Here are some more pics before it was wiped.

blue background 1is in a crappy artificial lighted environment

The ones from my dad on the grey cardboard backing, also the 1st ones posted are outdoors in full volume Florida sun, so expect some variations on those.

Best
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EF lid M42   EF lid M42  

EF lid M42  

?

The decal doesn't appear liberated to me. It could be black like the Ken B SS helmet is black. Perhaps used by an SS Flak unit or just "camoed"/painted this way. Who knows realy but interesting and real, nonetheless.

Hi Doug

Interestingly enough I asked my Dad who says it is black. He does not have a lot of knowledge on WW2 militaria but was career military in the 70s thru 90s, we were overseas and always messing with his field helmets, he knows when one is refurbished or repainted, they were still using a lot of WW2 issued lids in the 70s and 80s , we found some pretty old C Rations also, they spared no expense LOL. Actually I could kick myself because my Dad was field hospital orientated and he had several issued lids with the Red Cross insignia on them.

I will go look for the Ken B black one to show to my Dad for comparison. I think I met Ken in Kassel , but if Iam not mistaken there are 2 Ken Bs in the helmet scene.

Anyone got a link to the Ken B helmet? I cannot find it and Iam trying to pack up for a trip . I would like to forward the link to my Father.

Thanks

?

Your thinking of Ken N. I am sure that's who you met in Kassel, not Ken B. Ken B posted his helmet on GHW2 not here, and maybe the accursed WAF.

?

great looking ss helmet my friend and glad to have been of help rgds Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2