Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Foreign SS Helmet

Article about: Hello all, Annoyed from this ads?   I have a question about this SS foreign volunteer's M42 helmet. It's an NS66 helmet, which is unique, from what I understand most helmets of this typ

G43
    ?

Default Foreign SS Helmet

Hello all,

I have a question about this SS foreign volunteer's M42 helmet. It's an NS66 helmet, which is unique, from what I understand most helmets of this type were EF produced. It has a very nice first pattern, or C.A. Pocher decal on the opposite side from what you would expect, which is the main indicator that it is a foreign issue helmet. Now, to my question. The helmet appears to have a second pattern m1931 liner which one would expect on an M42, however why is there a roller on the chinstrap buckle? They were deleted with the introduction of the m1931 liner and only made appearances on earlier helmets, such as M35s or possibly some m40s. It seems to be a stretch to say that old stock lasted until 1942. Does anyone have a solid explanation? I understand that "anything is possible in the field," it just seems odd. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Foreign SS Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Foreign SS Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Quote by G43 View Post
    "It has a very nice first pattern, or C.A. Pocher decal on the opposite side from what you would expect, which is the main indicator that it is a foreign issue helmet."
    No it's not the main indicator that it is a foreign issue SS. I could understand if there were 2 Pocher (runic & party) decals placed atop a DD Police, but not a plain jane helmet, especially an NS. It's possible it was an error. Let's not forget that machines did not apply decals on the helmets, humans did.
    As far as the roller buckle type chinstrap, that could have been applied on the field, it was war, so any chinstrap will do, no biggy.
    I have to admit, by the pics you have provided, we might have ourselves an honest Pocher decal, but who's to say if it weren't applied post-war. I have seen honest NS M42's with what appears to be period applied Pochers, but can't say for sure this is one of them. I could be wrong of course.
    Best to wait for Doug. Personally, i'm not 100% convinced this is a war time SS helmet.

Regards
    Samir

?

By the way, try n get straight on shots of the decal with the camera set in macro mode. I wanna have a second, and proper look at this decal.

Regards
    Samir

?

It looks ok but let the expert (samir) be the judge on this one.

?

Quote by WillC View Post
    It looks ok but let the expert (samir) be the judge on this one.
    No expert here, just another collector going on based what I have learned and the pics that were provided. I'm just not comfortable with this being a wartime SS helmet (unless I got it straight from the vet). I'm always buying n selling ss helmets and if this one was offered to me, I would pass.

Samir

The helmet in question is presently on lay away at Grenadier Militaria. Are you buying this piece?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

G43
    ?

Thank You all for Your replies. SSamir I'm afraid I must disagree with you. Factory workers were under supervision during most stages of helmet production therefore I believe it to be highly unlikely to be a mistake. Yes Bob I am purchasing the helmet from Bruce. I have full confidence in the originality, I am merely curious about the roller.

Quote by G43 View Post
    Thank You all for Your replies. SSamir I'm afraid I must disagree with you. Factory workers were under supervision during most stages of helmet production therefore I believe it to be highly unlikely to be a mistake. Yes Bob I am purchasing the helmet from Bruce. I have full confidence in the originality, I am merely curious about the roller.
    Hi, SS Pocher decals are often found field applied , I think they are the only type of SS decal that is seen in large numbers that were field applied. That said I have to say that it is very unusual to have a single decal SS in this configuration, not impossible but very unusual. I have no doubts on the authenticity of the decal itself, but as SSamir states,the foreign volunteer helmets I have seen have either been over decaled Police helmets or helmets with runes on both sides? I very much doubt this helmet left the factory with the decal on it, when it was put on is a point of opinion without a vet provenance being provided unfortunately. Personally I would always have a "nagging" doubt about this having been a wartime applied decal, just my opinion. As for the chinstrap, i have no problem with an earlier strap type on a later helmet personally, there could be any number of reasons why it happened. Leon.
    P.S, Bruce is a great guy to deal with so if you changed your mind and gave him your reasons I am sure he would not have a problem.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 09-26-2014 at 10:47 AM.

?

Quote by G43 View Post
    Are u foreal??? You have clearly lost touch with reality. I highly doubt the decal was applied at the factory, that's if it were ever period applied to begin with. When SS divisions surrendered to the Americans, they had a feast on war booty. Many unapplied Pochers were found and lots of them were applied on helmets post-war. Don't give me BS about how nice Bruce is, he's not the emperor of SS helmets.

?

Sometimes we want to believe certain things because we have invested so much. I know the feeling and I understand, I was like that too once, but it's reality, and reality one day will hit you hard. Believe what you want to believe my friend, your helmet. Bruce is a nice guy, I have done business with him before, but we all make mistakes. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast